Do you want to work for a mission-driven organization that cares about privacy, sustainability and ethical technology? Join us in the Digital team at the New York Public Library!
NYPL Digital is responsible for the digital transformation of the Library, delivering robust core patron-facing services through digital platforms. This role is part of the Digital Experience Portfolio (DXP) that focuses on the content management systems of our website, to deliver a consistent user experience across our web, and mobile platforms. This role will include managing Drupal upgrades, site redesign, content migration, implementation of third-party products, and more.
We’re seeking a high-energy, motivated project manager with solid experience in a scrum environment. The successful candidate will apply PMI project standards, be adept at working across organizational boundaries, cross-functional teams, and stakeholder groups to plan, organize, lead and control the deliverables within scope, budget, and timeline.
Strong emphasis is placed on managing comprehensive project timelines, capacity planning, preparing risk mitigation plans in advance, and proactive communication to provide project transparency, clarity, and delivery.
We’re seeking candidates that are eager to learn and grow, support their project teams for success, and are solutions focused.
- The end-to-end delivery of product development and business and usual activities for the portfolio team
- Identification, communication/escalation and mitigation of risks, dependencies, and issues related to the DXP team and projects
- Proactive communication of project progress/status by developing and maintaining accurate and detailed project documentation and reports for stakeholders and senior leaders
- Coordination with engineering teams, product management, UX, QA, and Communications to ensure capacity management and overall technical planning for each project
- Protection of the sprint scope and goals
- Planning and coordination of successful deployments
- Understanding and communication of priorities and goals for bugs/projects/features
- Other duties and projects as assigned
- Tools and techniques to project team members that contribute to successful project outcomes and high performing teams
- Coach teams on iterative development cadences and incremental improvements
- Ensure team members are focused on value, execution, and the criticality of timely milestone delivery
- Simplification of processes and workflows to drive optimal, efficient results
- Best practices in project management and scrum methodologies to team members
- The Library's core values: What does it mean to be helpful, resourceful, and curious?
- About NYPL culture, goals and strategy, and the environment in which we work
- The Library’s Digital values
- The Digital team's project process from inception through delivery and review
- DXP components, tools and products/services
- Team, cross-portfolio, and stakeholder communication
- Team workflows to achieve greater efficiencies and opportunities for collaboration wherever possible
- Team problem solving
- Team dynamics and overall performance
- The overall work breakdown structure, with a goal of breaking work down into the smallest, manageable tasks
- Estimates and forecast accuracy
Required Education, Experience & Skills
Required Education & Certifications/Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 3-5 years' experience working as a technical project manager, OR five years relevant work experience with relevant PM certification
- Proven track record of delivering full site and custom CMS implementation concurrent projects – ideally Drupal – on time and budget
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of industry standards in project management and development methodologies (PMBOK, Agile, Scrum)
- Strong technical foundation to work with engineering (both frontend and backend) and IT/DevOps teams to facilitate project related issues.
- Excellent facilitation, organizational and time management skills
- Understanding the complexity and limitations working with legacy systems and prioritization of bugs vs features
- Demonstrated ability to hold team members accountable for deliverables; comfortable pushing back when needed
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently to achieve results
- Ability to drive medium to large scale projects with cross-functional teams and align multiple priorities and dependencies with different teams
- Demonstrated ability to work with external vendors
- Knowledge & experience in effective project cost tracking
- Experience with Scrum and hybrid project delivery methodologies
- Experience with a variety of Agile and project tracking tools, specifically Jira and Smartsheet
- Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Scrum Master (CSM)
- Previous experience managing Drupal implementations and upgrades, full site development and redesigns
- 1–3 years of Technical Production experience in an agency, digital consultancy, or other environment working on full-scale site builds
Please Note: Effective August 2, 2021, absent a qualifying exception for medical or religious reasons, newly hired employees of the New York Public Library must present proof of receipt of a COVID-19 vaccination and may not begin employment at the Library until 14 days after their receipt of their second dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or 14 days after their first dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Newly hired employees who need additional time to receive their vaccination prior to their start date may request an adjournment of their start date with their hiring manager. The Library will consider such requests on a case by case basis, depending upon the Library’s operational needs, among other factors. The Library will further consider exemptions for prospective employees who cannot become vaccinated due to a qualifying medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice. Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment and who seek a medical or religious exemption to the Library’s vaccination policy will be provided with additional instructions at the time of the conditional offer.
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Be Welcoming and Inclusive
- Limited physical effort is required
Pre-Placement Physical Required?
- Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm
Evenings as necessary
About The New York Public Library
The New York Public Library is a free provider of education and information for the people of New York and beyond. With 92 locations—including research and branch libraries—throughout the Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island, the Library offers free materials, computer access, classes, exhibitions, programming and more to everyone from toddlers to scholars, and has seen record numbers of attendance and circulation in recent years. The New York Public Library serves more than 18 million patrons who come through its doors annually and millions more around the globe who use its resources at www.nypl.org.
Last updated: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 21:35 UTC