Geospatial Data Curator
Working Title: Geospatial Data Curator
Job Number: 522300
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Data Management and Curation Services, the Geospatial Data Curator will provide curation support to Virginia Tech researchers including publishing research datasets and code (abbreviated as ‘data’ throughout) using Libraries digital infrastructure. Curation support includes assisting Virginia Tech researchers in finding appropriate repositories for their research data, and enhancing the documentation and reuse of research data through the curation process. The Geospatial Data Curator will have a focus on geospatial data curation support, including providing training, guidance and consultative assistance with geospatial applications and spatial analysis to the Virginia Tech community in order to improve the reusability of geospatial data generated by Virginia Tech researchers. The Geospatial Data Curator will also participate in the Data Curation Network, a consortium of generalist repositories that share curation expertise. The Geospatial Data Curator will also support the Geospatial Data Consultant in development of the University Libraries physical and digital geospatial data collections.
The University Libraries at Virginia Tech is committed to building a culturally diverse community and strongly encourages applications from women and minorities. We are committed to mentoring and establishing safe spaces where employees from current and historically minoritized groups can thrive. In support of this effort this position is eligible for 100% telework in the first 1-2 years with the expectation that the employee will transition to a hybrid schedule with time on campus after this period.
- Master's degree in library and information science or a Bachelor's degree with training and or experience in a discipline that uses geospatial data.
- Experience in service provision/working with clients.
- Experience in public presentation/communication.
- Experience with geospatial applications (e.g. ARCGis, other Esri products, open source products such as QGIS) and spatial analysis.
- Experience working in a collaborative team-based environment.
- Experience in development and/or delivery of guidance or training.
- Experience in any of the following: research data documentation, research data archiving, research data publication, secondary use of research data.
- Experience in metadata creation and management, especially in regards to geospatial data.
- Experience in data management planning and writing/reviewing of data management plans for funding proposals.
- Experience in programming, e.g. in Python, R, SQL.
- Interest or experience in GIS as they relate to minoritized communities or equity and inclusion.
- Work schedule: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm or as assigned. This position has the possibility for remote work in the first 1-2 years with the expectation that the employee will transition to a hybrid schedule with time on campus after this period.
- The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate's experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, the required and preferred qualifications, and names of three (3) references and their contact information.
How to apply for this job: Applications must be submitted online at https://jobs.vt.edu/
Quick Link: https://careers.pageuppeople.com/968/cw/en-us/job/522300/geospatial-data-curator
Employee Category: A/P Faculty Lecturer, regular full-time appointment
Pay Range: $55,000 minimum dependent on education and experience
Work Location: Blacksburg, VA
Review Date: November 7, 2022
Cathy C Pillow
Administrative Director and Human Resources Manager
University Libraries / Virginia Tech
Published: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 21:34 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, October 12, 2022 21:34 UTC