Collection Services Librarian
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Bennington, ,
Bennington College invites applications for the Collection Services Librarian position at Crossett Library. The librarian would be joining at an exciting time, with the college experiencing a growing enrollment, and a library with a strong reputation for outstanding service and collaborative colleagues.
The Collection Services Librarian plans and leads all aspects of acquisition, cataloging, organization, preservation, and access to library and archival resources.
Reporting to the Director of Library Services, and directly supervising the Acquisitions Coordinator, the Collection Services Librarian will work with library colleagues to ensure the quality and usability of the library's collections and resource discovery tools and media resources. This position performs and supervises original cataloging and copy cataloging for all formats of information resources for the library; improves the access to and quality of existing bibliographic databases via authority control and enhancing bibliographic records; identifies and corrects incomplete/incorrect records; and upgrades records, and maintains authority control. This position provides support for the College archive including the creation of metadata records and protocols for the creation, storage, preservation, organization, and description of archival materials. The Collection Service Librarian also provides systems administration for certain functions of the integrated library system, online catalog, and discovery services related to acquisitions, cataloging, periodicals, and electronic resources.
A commitment to upholding practices of antiracism and inclusion are fundamental to the work of the library and this position. Bennington serves a diverse student population inclusive of members of ethnically/racially minoritized, international, LGBTQIA+, and disability communities as well as diverse gender identities, socioeconomic backgrounds, religions, and political beliefs. Our staff and faculty also reflect diverse and intersecting backgrounds and identities. All employees are expected to be respectful and responsive to these differences in the service of building community that promotes student and employee success. Each individual (faculty, staff and students) will be accountable for upholding these values. The College's approach to pluralism and inclusivity—both as fields of inquiry and practice—is to prioritize flexible thought, and to invite the examination of access, value, power, and privilege through its institutional policies and areas of study. We encourage applicants from diverse realms of interest, backgrounds, experience, and accomplishment to apply.
• Master's degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited institution is required.
• The position requires demonstrated experience with original cataloging using the standards of LCC, LCSH, and AACR2/RDA; experience with OCLC ClassWeb and Connexion is preferred.
• Knowledge of metadata standards for digital asset management such as Dublin Core, METS, or MODS required.
• Experience with library acquisitions, cataloging, discovery systems, and/or serials and electronic resource management is required.
• Familiarity with the Sierra ILS, EBSCO Discovery Service, DSPACE and/or Folio is preferred.
• Supervisory skills are preferred including the ability to develop internal talent, guide the work of employees, and create a positive work environment.
• Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and project management skills are strongly preferred.
• Strong fluency in word processing and spreadsheet applications is required. Experience with Google Suite is preferred.
This position requires successful completion and acceptable results of a background check.
To apply, please visit https://apptrkr.com/3504537
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, October 5, 2022 15:43 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, October 5, 2022 15:43 UTC