JOB DESCRIPTION AND POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
Pennsylvania State University Libraries is looking for an enthusiastic, motivated individual with a combination of systems administration experience and application development capabilities to serve as a DevOps Developer. This position has the option for teleworking.
We support the University Libraries broadly to bolster the strategic initiatives of discovery, access, and preservation; as well as advancing research at Penn State. Some example services include our online catalog, open data and open access repositories, electronic theses and dissertation system, etc. This position will actively work on automation, integration, performance, and to operationally enhance our discovery, access, and repository services.
Our team supports open-source Rails, PHP, and Drupal applications to develop digital library collections, scholarly communications, electronic record archiving, and research data. The successful candidate will collaborate with an innovative team on building sustainable digital services for a multi-campus institution.
The DevOps Developer will be responsible for all phases of systems development including:
- Infrastructure provisioning, deployment and delivery.
- Develop fully automated pipelines for build, deploy, testing across environments.
- Automate systems configuration and orchestrate services and servers .
- Design creative solutions for performance, scale, and high availability.
- Analyze system performance with benchmarking tests.
- Understand and adhere to security best practices.
- Assist the development team with monitoring and diagnosis; participate in cross-functional projects.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment; building on each other’s skillsets.
Required skills include:
- Bachelor's degree or higher plus four years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong software and system architecture skills.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and handle multiple priorities.
- Enthusiasm to learn new skills and technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
Preferred skills include experience with:
- Containerization (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes).
- Configuration management software (e.g. Chef, Puppet, Ansible).
- Agile methodology, code reviews, test-driven development.
- Cloud platforms (e.g. Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure).
- Relational & non-relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis) .
Employment will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
All application materials should be uploaded at the same time at the time of application.
Penn State is committed to and accountable for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all of its forms. We embrace individual uniqueness, foster a culture of inclusion that supports both broad and specific diversity initiatives, leverage the educational and institutional benefits of diversity, and engage all individuals to help them thrive. We value inclusion as a core strength and an essential element of our public service mission.
CAMPUS SECURITY CRIME STATISTICS:
Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act and the Pennsylvania Act of 1988, Penn State publishes a combined Annual Security and Annual Fire Safety Report (ASR). The ASR includes crime statistics and institutional policies concerning campus security, such as those concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. The ASR is available for review here.
Employment with the University will require successful completion of background check(s) in accordance with University policies.
EEO IS THE LAW
Penn State is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applications without regards to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please contact 814-865-1473.
Penn State is committed to the health of our local and global communities. As a condition of employment, all employees are required to comply with COVID-19 vaccination or testing requirements. Click on Penn State Covid-19 Vaccination or Testing Requirements to learn about the requirements as well as general COVID-19 information at Penn State.
University Park, PA
How to apply
Submitted by: AndrewGearhart
Published: Thursday, September 29, 2022 16:57 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, September 29, 2022 16:57 UTC