Millions of public transit passengers around the world need high quality data to make well-informed decisions about how to plan their trip. Defining and upholding a standard for high quality data is one of the toughest challenges in the collaborative effort between transportation providers and trip planning applications. MobilityData's GTFS Schedule Validator (github.com/MobilityData/gtfs-validator) is core infrastructure to solving this problem. This tool is a critical part of data processing pipelines used by transportation providers and journey planning apps like Google Maps, MetroTransit, and Caltrans.
What you will do
Analysis & Design (20%)
- Share knowledge, promote standard methodologies, and collaborate with our team of developers.
- Participate in needs assessment and architectural design sessions.
- Review designs contributed by peers and stakeholders to decide amongst available technologies.
Software Development (40%)
- Work with the product manager to develop tools according to the roadmap.
- Deliver scalable, testable, maintainable, and high-quality code.
- Contribute to existing documentation and educational content in order to communicate technical requirements to technical and non-technical audiences.
Open Source Collaboration & Software Maintenance (40%)
- Review code developed by our contributors and provide feedback to ensure best practices.
- Participate in triaging issues and maintain our tools in order of priority based on severity of issues.
Who you are
- Curious. Impact-driven. Collaborative. Flexible. Open. Go-getter.
- Experienced. 6+ years of experience building reliable and scalable software.
- You must be fluent in Java for this role.
- Strong experience with:
- Git source code repositories and workflows (GitHub).
- REST APIs.
- Data processing softwares and pipelines.
- Qualified. You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience.
- Knowledgeable. You possess excellent knowledge of:
- data structures and algorithms.
- SQL databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, MariaDB).
- Experience with semantic and No-SQL databases is also considered.
- Detail oriented. You are organized and able to independently lead multiple high-visibility tasks. You have a good analytical mind capable for creative approach to problem solving.
If you mostly recognize yourself in this section, we strongly encourage you to apply even if you don't feel you tick all the boxes. MobilityData recruits for other jobs as well, take a look at our careers page!
About the position
- Full time permanent position, 40h/week
- Location: Ideally, you would be located in an Eastern region-friendly time zone (For example, provinces of Quebec and Ontario or from the state of New York), as most of the job is remote, with quarterly in-person team meetings likely in Montreal, and potential additional business trips
- Perks and benefits:
- Open-minded and inclusive team that values diversity
- 4 weeks of yearly vacation and additional paid time off: 5 sick days, 5 days of parental obligation, bereavement, parental leave top up, etc.
- Health insurance premiums paid up to 90% by the employer
- Virtual health care service
- Compensations for your public-transit and shared-mobility passes, home office material and for coworking space.
Apply through MobilityData's Careers page.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 20:35 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, September 20, 2022 20:35 UTC