The University of Virginia Library seeks a collaborative, curious, and communicative Digital Preservation Analyst to join the Library’s digital preservation program team in Preservation Services. The Digital Preservation Analyst (DPA) will report to and work closely with the Digital Preservation Librarian to scale, support, and maintain digital preservation systems, services, and workflows for the growing universe of digital resources stewarded by the University of Virginia Library. We highly encourage early career applicants to apply.
Work closely with the Digital Preservation Librarian to test, research, integrate, and maintain digital preservation software, metadata, storage, and systems to scale support for the preservation program at UVA
Aid in the coordination of the web archiving program at UVA and eventually serve as the technical lead for UVA’s web archiving technology. Work with colleagues and students to document and ensure the quality of web archives selection, capture, preservation, and access
Communicate and collaborate with technical and non-technical colleagues by updating documentation and leading future training for relevant workflows, policies, and tools
Monitor digital preservation activities across UVA Library and play a crucial role to ensure the ongoing integrity, authenticity, and accessibility of UVA digital collections, including close collaboration with curation, information technology, and description leads to support long-term access to the Library’s digital collections
Support the research and maintenance of collections’ content and file format sustainability plans and work with the Digital Preservation Librarian to integrate preservation planning into broader preservation program strategy and policy for the Library
Analyze, research, and maintain workflows to ensure long-term care for born-digital and digitized materials, including but not limited to complex digital archival objects, web archives, digital humanities projects, 3-D data, email, open education resources, software, and faculty, student, and staff scholarship
Serve on the Special Collections reference desk 2 hours a week and one Saturday a semester and assist researchers working with born-digital content, both in-person and virtually
Participate in UVA working groups and committees; monitor and participate in developments in national and international digital preservation and stewardship communities
Research emerging preservation methods such as software emulation and digital forensics while continuing to pursue UVA Library’s preservation focus on sustainable, open, and flexible approaches to long-term preservation challenges
We acknowledge that, as significant as our collections are, we have silences and gaps in which some groups and life experiences are absent. We also acknowledge the ways in which our approaches to digital preservation should first center the needs of the collections we steward and the communities we serve. In support of our library's reparative work, we seek an individual who is prepared to redress archival silences and overcome the challenges of invisible defaults, and who will bring a commitment to preservation and access that surfaces under documented and marginalized voices. We look forward to working with an individual who finds energy and inspiration from engaging and collaborating with others.
- Applicants must possess one of the following: A. Master's degree in Library Science from ALA Accredited program OR B. Master’s degree in a related field OR C. a bachelor's degree and 4 years of experience working in a library, archives, or research institution
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital preservation standards, concepts, and strategies, which may include schoolwork, coursework, internships, etc.
- Experience testing, refining, and documenting workflows for digital materials at a library, archives, or research institution
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, including oral and written communication for both technical and non-technical audiences
- Demonstrated knowledge of web archiving activities and tools
- Demonstrated knowledge of one or more systems or platforms used for the management or preservation of digital materials
- Demonstrated aptitude for and interest in learning new technologies and skills
- Demonstrated understanding of the importance of digital file format analysis and documentation in digital preservation planning
- Demonstrated understanding of metadata standards relevant to digital preservation and libraries
- Demonstrated interest in evolving preservation approaches such as software emulation and digital forensics
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, belonging, and anti-racism
At the University of Virginia Library, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and dynamic workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every preferred qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment.
The position will be based in Charlottesville, VA. However, there is the opportunity for a hybrid or flexible work model compliant with University policies.
Anticipated Hiring range: $60,000 - $70,000
Please visit UVA job board: https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover letter to include your interest in the position and your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences
- CV or resume - recently updated C.V. detailing education and relevant experience
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for “R0040263"
Please note that you MUST upload ALL documents into the CV/Resume box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration
COVID Vaccination Requirement and Guidelines
Please visit the UVA COVID-19 Job Requirements and Guidelines webpage prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements and guidelines for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, September 15, 2022 14:17 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, September 15, 2022 14:17 UTC