The Senior Applications Developer serves on the cross-functional Application Development & Operations team in the University Libraries IT Division. The Senior Applications Developer is responsible for the end-to-end development and delivery of specialized library and administrative systems that enable the Libraries to share knowledge and culture with the people of Ohio, the nation, and the world.
The Senior Applications Developer collaborates with product owners, project managers, and team members on the specification of business and technical requirements and proposes and implements solutions that adhere to standards for data security, code quality, test coverage, digital accessibility, and architecture.
Duties also include providing technical support; maintaining existing open-source and custom applications; collaborating in the investigation of problems, conducting root-cause analyses, and recommending fixes; and participating in weekly maintenance windows.
Consistently demonstrates commitment to our values and promotes an organizational culture of Discovery, Connection, Equity, Integrity, and Stewardship (https://library.osu.edu/strategic-directions) as well as dedication to advance the work of the Libraries Information Technology unit. All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or relevant field, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 4+ years of experience in application or web development
- Fluency in one or more modern programming languages (e.g. Ruby, Python, PHP)
- Experience building and consuming REST APIs
- Proficiency with Git and version control best practices
- Experience working with relational or NoSQL databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL
- Experience with application containerization (e.g. Docker).
- Experience with search and indexing engines (e.g. Elasticsearch, Solr)
- Experience working in an Agile or DevOps environment
- Familiarity with core AWS services
Who we are
The Ohio State University Libraries is one of the largest academic research libraries in the U.S. Our mission is to:
- Promote innovative research, creative expression, and effective teaching
- Curate information essential for scholarship and learning at Ohio State
- Preserve and provide access to our unique digital materials and scholarly records
Why work at Ohio State and the Libraries
- Contribute your expertise to digital library solutions that benefit learners, teachers, and researchers
- Gain valuable skills while collaborating with your colleagues in a flexible, remote work environment
- Take advantage of Ohio State’s generous benefit package, including medical, dental and vision insurance, tuition assistance for employees and their dependents, and state or alternative retirement options with competitive employer contributions
What you’ll be doing
- Write, test, deploy, and maintain code
- Collaborate with product owners and colleagues to make sure we are implementing solutions that meet project requirements and user needs
- Confirm that our work adheres to information security and digital accessibility standards
How we work
- We are a virtual user-focused team open to new ways to best achieve our goals. Not only do we help keep the lights on, but we also get to build new and innovative features that impact a large and diverse audience.
- Our team’s portfolio includes Digital Collections, Special Collections Registry, Discover, and Libraries website.
- We follow Agile frameworks and aspire to DevOps culture and continuous delivery. Our tool set is varied and evolving, and includes Node.js, Vue.js, Elasticsearch, Ruby, PHP, and Docker. CI/CD is a priority, as well as containerizing and migrating our systems to AWS.
This position is eligible for 100% remote work.
Please submit cover letter and resume with the online application. This posting will close on September 25, 2022.
University Libraries is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We are taking steps to meet that commitment and especially encourage members of under-represented communities to apply, including but not limited to women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans and people with different abilities. We know there are great candidates who have backgrounds less traditional to our field of work—if that's you, please apply and tell us about yourself.
Final candidates are subject to successful completion of a background check. A drug screen or physical may be required during the post offer process.
Thank you for your interest in positions at The Ohio State University and Wexner Medical Center. Once you have applied, the most updated information on the status of your application can be found by visiting the Candidate Home section of this site. Please view your submitted applications by logging in and reviewing your status. For answers to additional questions please review the frequently asked questions.
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, military status, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, protected veteran status, or any other basis under the law.
Applicants are encouraged to complete and submit the Equal Employment Identification form.
How to apply
Published: Friday, September 2, 2022 13:52 UTC
Last updated: Friday, September 2, 2022 13:52 UTC