The Back-end Developer, an integral part of the Digital Initiatives department, will be responsible for server-side solutions for stakeholders of identified high impact services in the areas of publishing, research, learning, and preservation at the University of Tennessee Libraries. Reporting to the Director of Technology Solutions, the position will work in a results-driven team environment to deliver timely projects for repository systems, publishing platforms, libraries websites, and many other vendor and in-house applications. They will train, share, and support other team members with their expertise and knowledge in back-end development. They will continuously seek knowledge and learning opportunities to expand their skill sets and adopt new emerging technologies. As part of our commitment to create reusable open-source tools, the position will collaborate with developers from other institutions to advance the technologies for the Libraries and our partners across the international academic community.
This position is telework eligible.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Programming and Development
- Analyzes and solves complex technical problems related to back-end architecture and applications for the Libraries’ websites and repositories.
- Collaborates with front-end developers and other team members to build strong integration methods using REST, SOAP, GraphQL, and other API architectures.
- Develops and builds high-quality, clean, reusable, and secure code for functional and sustainable applications.
- Designs server-side software architecture approaches, patterns, data structures, and other frameworks. Manages and deploys strategies for modern application hosting including containerization.
- Manages and configures our cloud platform services.
- Discovers and implements solutions for eliminating bugs, vulnerabilities, and errors in our back-end architecture.
- Refactors, updates, and rectifies technical limitations in legacy applications.
- Participates in the full life cycle development of applications.
- Performs system configurations on server environments as needed.
- Strategy and Collaboration
- Collaborates on critical, high impact, and urgent projects.
- Contributes to the identification of back-end needs and proposes future development strategies.
- Provides training and supports the team with back-end knowledge.
- Researches new and emerging technologies, practices, vendors, and features by monitoring industry trends.
- Works with campus project partners to help define needs, often across multiple functional areas.
- Interacts with external vendors and contractors for technical solutions.
- Defines and communicates functional and non-functional requirements.
- Monitors threats, vulnerabilities, and risks to the applications and data.
- Creates and maintains documentation on applications and microservices.
- Maintains and updates the system architecture documentation.
- Designs, collects, analyzes metrics, and creates reports for dissemination to team and senior staff.
- Creates and maintains security reports for the applications the position oversees.
How to apply
For assistance or questions about using the UT online application system, contact University of Tennessee Human Resources:
105 Student Services Building, Knoxville, TN 37996-0213
Office Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Submitted by: markpbaggett
Published: Friday, August 26, 2022 14:49 UTC
Last updated: Friday, August 26, 2022 14:49 UTC