The University of San Francisco Gleeson Library/Geschke Center seeks a collaborative and user-focused Systems Library Assistant to assist in the maintenance and support of library systems and web interfaces, including the integrated library system (Innovative Interfaces’ Sierra), authentication service (OpenAthens), library website (Springshare/LibGuides) and other critical systems. The position also assists with the installation, configuration, and maintenance of library hardware and software related to library services. Under the direction of the Head of Electronic Resources & Systems department and working closely with other department members, the position directly supports the department’s operations and project-based initiatives.
37.5 hours/week (full time) with a minimum hire-in rate of $30.28/hr and $31.80/hr after successfully completing mandatory probation. Hours are typically 8:30AM to 5:00PM and may include evenings and/or weekends, depending on operational needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides first-level technical support and day-to-day troubleshooting for library systems (Sierra, OpenAthens, Springshare LibApps, Slack, WordPress, etc.) and assists with their maintenance.
- Assists in assessing the accessibility, usability, and functionality of the library’s web interfaces.
- Oversees the maintenance, replacement, and removal of patron-use computers. Assists in the development and maintenance of an inventory for patron-use technology assets.
- Proactively helps to identify, research, and resolve library technology problems for library staff and patrons and/or refers cases to ITS or the appropriate department as needed.
- Provides training and creates training materials for library staff in the use of library systems and related hardware and software.
- Provides backup support for e-resource troubleshooting, including monitoring the department’s LibAnswers ticketing system, responding to tickets, resolving straightforward problems, and communicating with other Electronic Resources & Systems department members and vendors regarding complex issues.
- Assists in collecting and interpreting statistics, and generating reports as requested.
- Creates and maintains departmental documentation of workflows, procedures, and policies.
- Participates in cross training to ensure departmental responsibilities are performed in case of temporary absence of personnel.
- Actively participates in department meetings and discussions.
- Assists Head of Electronic Resources & Systems with recording and distributing minutes of department meetings.
- May recruit, hire, train, and supervise student assistants. May oversee, coordinate, and evaluate the work of student assistants.
- Participates in staff development activities and stays current with changes in library technology and other developments in the field. Develops, maintains, and updates technical skills applicable to the position.
- Contributes to library-wide events and initiatives. Serves on library and USF committees, as requested or needed.
- Special projects and other duties, as assigned.
- Equivalent of 5 years library experience, preferably in a college or university environment, including knowledge of technical services processes in an automated ILS environment (e.g., Innovative Interfaces’ Sierra).
- Four years of higher education (120) units or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated customer service skills and a strong commitment to customer service.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Excel/Word and Google Workspace.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Ability to work independently, including setting priorities and managing time efficiently when faced with competing demands.
- Ability to supervise student assistants.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in working with diverse groups, cultural humility, and ability to support the advancement of DEI initiatives.
- Experience working in technical services with integrated library systems such as Sierra. Familiarity with systems such as OpenAthens, Springshare LibApps (LibGuides, LibAnswers, LibCal, and LibWizard), Slack, and WordPress.
- Experience working with HTML/CSS, interface design, and usability.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot library technology problems, apply solutions for efficiency and user convenience, and analyze work processes.
For full job description and to apply: https://usfca.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/USF_Staff/job/USF-Hilltop-Campus/Library-Assistant-V---Electronic-Resources---Systems_R0006497
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 14:14 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, August 10, 2022 14:14 UTC