Please visit the URL for the full posting and the link to apply. Posting closes Sept. 1, 2022 at 12:01am EST
Brock University Library invites applications for the full-time probationary position of Head, Research Lifecycle from qualified candidates who have experience with library services, resources, and tools in support of research at a post-secondary institution.
The successful candidate will provide leadership and direction for the operations of Brock Library’s new Research Lifecycle Department. This new department came into effect on May 1, 2022 as part of the Library’s new organizational design. The Research Lifecycle Department is a researcher-centered department that provides support in areas such as data services, evidence synthesis support, scholarly communication, and digital scholarship. This department maintains the Map, Data, & GIS Library, and is composed of four librarians (including the head), two permanent staff members, and part-time student staff.
As Head of the Research Lifecycle Department, the successful candidate will:
- Provide leadership for the Research Lifecycle Department in program development, delivery and assessment, promotion and outreach initiatives, and departmental planning.
- Provide supervision of library staff in the Research Lifecycle Department, including the coordination of workflow and human resources management.
- Oversees the operations of the Map, Data and GIS Library and provides oversight of collection development of print and digital maps and datasets.
- Build relationships, identify opportunities and collaborate with researchers and other stakeholders to develop and implement services and infrastructure supporting research at Brock.
- Provide leadership in support of Brock’s research data management strategy in conjunction with campus and external partners such as the Office of the Vice-President Research, Office of Research Services, Information Technology Services, and the Office of Research Ethics.
- Maintain a broad and current understanding of library-related research services to inform departmental services.
- As spokesperson for the department, promote and increase awareness of Research Lifecycle services and oversee in-person and virtual program offerings.
- Support the Library’s strategic goals through active membership on working groups and project teams. Participate in the development of recommendations for improvements in library-wide policies, procedures, and services.
- Engage in professional development, scholarly and service activities under the terms of the BUFA-Brock Collective Agreement.
This position is available as of October 1, 2022.
Qualified candidates will possess the following:
- A Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited library program or equivalent.
- Leadership and supervisory abilities including knowledge of human resources practices and unionized environments.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Ability to effectively manage change and support colleagues in a dynamic environment.
- Knowledge of research lifecycle activities in libraries, and expertise in at least one of the following areas:
- scholarly communication
- digital scholarship
- data and GIS
- research data management
- evidence synthesis reviews
- Understanding of the research landscape including research methods, funding systems and broad disciplinary cultures.
- Ability to advance the library’s role in supporting the research enterprise at Brock.
- Awareness of the importance of inclusivity, accessibility, reconciliation, and decolonization to academic libraries.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Effective analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
Qualifications Considered an Asset:
While these qualifications are considered an asset, they are not required, and we are committed to helping our future colleague develop these skills if necessary.
- Master’s level education in a relevant discipline.
- Understanding of assessment and evaluation concepts and methods.
- Demonstrated teaching experience.
- Experience working with faculty to support grant funded projects.
- Demonstrated experience engaging in the research lifecycle as a researcher in a post-secondary research environment.
Brock University offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefits package. It is anticipated that this appointment will be made at the rank of Librarian II or III. Salary and rank will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. The position is included in the Brock University Faculty Association (BUFA) and is governed by the BUFA-Brock Collective Agreement (https://www.bufa.ca/resources/bufa-collective-agreement/).
Applicants are invited to apply by submitting a curriculum vitae and a cover letter through the online application system no later than Sept 1, 2022 at 12:01am EST. We appreciate all applications received; however, we will contact only those candidates selected for an interview. All interviews for this position will be conducted in-person, generally over the course of one day. Candidates will deliver a presentation, open to all library staff, on a given topic and meet with relevant stakeholders. Questions about the application process can be directed to the Chair of the hiring committee, Andrew Colgoni (firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to apply
Chair, Hiring Committee: Andrew Colgoni (email@example.com) for questions about the process. Applications should be submitted on the URL linked.
Published: Thursday, July 28, 2022 14:39 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, July 28, 2022 14:39 UTC