Evergreen Indiana Database Analyst
Work for Indiana
Grow your career with the State of Indiana! With more than 50 executive branch agencies, the State of Indiana is a diverse workforce offering employees stimulating and challenging projects across a broad scope of career opportunities. As a State of Indiana employee, you impact the well-being of Indiana’s communities every day.
At the State of Indiana, we don’t just talk about diversity and inclusion – Our goal is to create a welcoming, accessible, and equitable workplace, with a workforce that is representative of the State of Indiana population. As a proud equal opportunity employer, reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to interview and to perform the essential functions of a role.
About the Indiana State Library:
The Indiana State Library and Historical Bureau is a public library building, located in Indianapolis, Indiana. It is the largest public library in the state of Indiana, housing over 60,000 manuscripts. Established in 1934, the library has gathered a large collection of books on a vast variety of topics.
The salary for this position may be commensurate with education and/or experience.
Next Level benefits at the State of Indiana are here! Be sure to review our expanded benefit package offerings below.
About the Job:
The Evergreen Database Analyst is the primary database analyst for the Evergreen Indiana integrated library system, serving ~130 libraries across the State of Indiana. Duties for this position include PostgreSQL database analysis, maintenance, and reporting; Linux system administration; maintenance of servers; and technical support to all member libraries for their use of the Evergreen Indiana implementation of the Evergreen ILS open-source software. This position is also responsible for assisting with the migration of library data from various formats into the Evergreen Indiana database, including data-mapping, creating/updating migration scripts, and data verification through the various phases of data migration, as new members join the Evergreen Indiana Library Consortium.
A Day in the Life:
The essential functions of this role are as follows:
- Assists in the design, implementation, and maintenance of logical and physical databases;
- Troubleshoots Evergreen ILS application issues at the database level;
- Provides technical support to member libraries of Evergreen Indiana;
- Develops and maintains Linux scripts pertaining to the interaction between the Evergreen ILS application and PostgreSQL database;
- Administers end-user access and security at the database level;
- Ensures that data is appropriately protected via database backup and related strategies;
- Assists in the load process of database software and application of fixes;
- Assists with the evaluation and selection of infrastructure components;
- Provides operational support for the database ensuring data integrity, database availability, and performance;
- Monitors system performance in selected areas and implements necessary changes to improve performance when possible;
- Studies hardware/software proposals to determine the impact on existing configurations;
- Provides technical assistance to, and written guidelines for, operations personnel as needed;
- Researches new techniques and technical developments to be utilized by operations to enhance systems performance;
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
What You'll Need for Success:
- Working knowledge of relational database design techniques;
- Working knowledge of a variety of computer languages;
- Working knowledge of computer hardware/software capabilities and configurations;
- Working knowledge of Linux systems administration;
- Working knowledge in software and utilities related to PostgreSQL Data Base Management Systems (DBMS);
- Ability to apply theories, principles, and methodologies to existing and new computer hardware/software;
- Ability to write database computer programs, procedures, subroutines, and utilities in a variety of languages;
- Effectively communicate, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to apply advanced logic;
- Ability to participate in multiple hardware/software projects and priorities;
- Ability to read and understand complicated technical manuals on programming and systems analysis.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports:
This role does not provide direct supervision to direct reports.
Difficulty of Work:
Individual should be self-motivated, creative and flexible. Creative problem solving is required such as when bringing new libraries into the system as various data formats have to be coalesced and modified to operate appropriately in the Evergreen environment. Many times the vendors of these other systems will not assist should any issues arise.
Performs independently from instructions given by the MIS Supervisor in providing a major contribution in the maintenance and implementation of the Evergreen Indiana system.
Benefits of Employment with the State of Indiana:
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees which includes:
- Three (3) medical plan options (including RX coverage) as well as vision and dental plans;
- Wellness program (offers premium discount for the medical plan and gift cards);
- Health savings account, which includes bi-weekly state contribution;
- Flexible work scheduling options, including the potential for hybrid remote work for employees whose work may be performed outside state facilities;
- Deferred compensation 457B account (similar to 401k plan) with employer match;
- Two (2) fully-funded pension plan options;
- A robust, comprehensive program of leave policies covering a variety of employee needs, including but not limited to:
- 150 hours of paid new parent leave;
- Up to 15 hours of paid community service leave;
- Combined 180 hours of paid vacation, personal, and sick leave time off;
- 12 paid holidays, 14 on election years;
- Education Reimbursement Program;
- Group life insurance;
- Referral Bonus program;
- Employee assistance program that allows for covered behavioral health visits;
- Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program;
- Free Parking for most positions;
- Free LinkedIn Learning access;
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to apply
Published: Friday, July 22, 2022 15:51 UTC
Last updated: Friday, July 22, 2022 15:51 UTC