Electronic Resources Consultant in Chicago area (Hybrid)
Are you ready to help us take SWAN to the next level of digital services? We're looking for a creative, detail-oriented individual with a passion for library support to join our team in a role that involves working with metadata, managing vendor relations, and engaging with librarians. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
The full-time position comes with a starting salary range of $60,000 – $75,000 based on experience and comes with medical insurance benefits, employer 401k contributions, and a hybrid work environment (Note: working up to 100% remotely at times). You will enjoy a workplace where employees work from home in a virtual environment with team members. We require being on-call for system support on a rotating basis and for scheduled visits at libraries when need arises.
- Overseeing our suite of electronic databases, e-books, and other digital collections, including troubleshooting, data gathering, and maintaining our vendor relationships.
- Coordinating authentication for remote access of resources.
- Visiting some of our 100 libraries in the Chicago suburbs to find out more about their e-resource needs, providing staff training, or just checking in.
- Thinking about process evaluation and improvements for user experience of our e-resources, both for our member libraries and for their patrons.
- Creating training documentation, planning training courses, and developing web content related to e-resources.
- Taking support calls and fielding help-desk tickets related to digital services, e-content and member support.
- Helping the User Experience Manager to customize and further improve upon our online catalog.
- Working closely with our other departments and SWAN staff to ensure optimal function for our resources, including occasionally serving as a project leader on new roll-outs.
- Master’s degree in Library Science or information management/computer-related equivalent required
- 3-5 years’ work experience in a related field, preferably managing digital collections.
- Experience creating, maintaining, and/or managing metadata or other structured data, (e.g., manipulating data in an institutional database or managing research data) is required.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint is required.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, is required. Occasional small and large group presentations will be required for this role.
- Ability to work effectively and maintain good working relationships with SWAN and member library staff is required.
- Ability to work independently and seek out colleagues in collaborative problem-solving.
- Ability to multi-task while ensuring meticulous accuracy with very detailed projects.
- Knowledge of graphic and web design and experience with content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Drupal) a plus.
- Knowledge of existing ILS software and library technologies is preferred.
SWAN offers a very generous benefits package to all full-time (37.5 hours/week) employees, including: a 9.75% 401(k) contribution and opt-in 457b and Roth plan; 20 days of paid vacation, 12 days of sick time, 11 paid holidays, and 3 days of personal time off per year to start; health, dental and vision insurance; life and disability insurance paid by SWAN; tuition reimbursement; wellness reimbursement; flexible scheduling and work-from-home options; and a bring your dog to work option!
SWAN will provide equal opportunity to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, military status, marital status, order of protection status, genetic information, sexual orientation, transgender status, or any other category protected by law, in accordance with all applicable law.
SWAN (System Wide Automated Network) is a library consortium that has been serving Illinois libraries since 1974 and today has a membership of 100 libraries throughout the Chicagoland area. By consolidating services and collaborating together, the SWAN membership is able to promote:
- A shared online public access catalog with millions of items available to patrons
- Centralized cataloging and software services that save library staff valuable time and money
- A unique collection of materials from public, college, and special libraries across Illinois
- 24/7 support to library staff—including IT, consulting, training, documentation, and tutorials
- Networking opportunities and knowledge/resource-sharing among the 2,000+ member library staff, as well as professional memberships to OCLC, COSUGI, and more
- Library accessibility through modern technology like Linked Data (making library catalog materials discoverable to the World Wide Web and search engines) and easy procurement of materials; patrons can receive a variety of alerts like email or SMS/text message notifications, in a variety of languages (English, Spanish, Polish, and more)
Interested individuals, please submit your resume by clicking the link: https://swanlibraries.recruitpro.com/jobs/225822-48318.html
Published: Thursday, July 14, 2022 22:43 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, July 14, 2022 22:43 UTC