Brief Summary of Work for this Position
Digital Initiatives works with library, university, and community partners to provide online access to materials related to the University of North Carolina Wilmington, the region, and research interests of our partners. We actively participate in and support research, teaching, and community engagement by providing access to digital collections that include visual art, artifacts, diaries, letters, newspapers, oral histories, photographs, public records, reports, 3D, and audiovisual materials.
The Digital Projects Specialist oversees and performs daily operations in converting a wide range of materials to digital formats, providing quality control, and ensuring that standards and best practices are followed. Under the supervision of the Digital Initiatives Librarian, the Digital Projects Specialist plays a key role in developing procedures, designing workflows, and identifying and testing tools and software to increase the Unit’s capabilities to support preservation, discovery, and access to digital content. This position:
• Leads the Digitization Unit’s daily operations by overseeing and performing digitization, task and progress tracking, quality control activities, and metadata creation.
• Works closely with the Digital Initiatives Librarian and other stakeholders to determine the most effective and efficient solutions for completing digital projects, to include, developing project work plans and creating documentation.
• Administers multiple projects and tasks in order to meet the goals of the Digital Initiatives Program, and other deadlines as they arise to include both in-house and vendor solution projects.
• Assists in creation and maintenance of policies and workflows for digitization and digital preservation.
• Hires, trains, and supervises student employees and interns in digitization workflows, metadata creation, and ingest.
• Operates scanning equipment to include Epson Expression 12000XL flatbed scanner, Zeutschel OS 12000 A1 overhead scanner, and FARO Focus 3D laser scanner.
• Makes recommendations for budget requests relating to equipment, software, and staffing.
• Participates in project meetings and on the Digital Initiatives Advisory Committee.
• Keeps abreast of emerging standards and practices in digital libraries.
Last updated: Monday, July 11, 2022 20:49 UTC