DescriptionUniversity of California Santa Barbara Library seeks a Learning Organization Librarian
Under the direction of the Associate University Librarian for Organizational Development &
Effectiveness, the Learning Organization Librarian position is responsible for leading efforts that
maintain and enhance on-going learning within the organization. To promote Library
effectiveness, the successful candidate will be responsible for defining, creating and
implementing the organization’s learning and development programs for Librarians, Library
Staff and Student Assistant positions and for ensuring the assessment and continuous
improvement of these programs. Working collaboratively with department and unit leaders, the
incumbent will facilitate processes to enable UCSB Library to become a Learning Organization.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Design, implement, evaluate and deliver programs to develop Library employees’ technical
competencies, professional growth, leadership development and continuous learning across the
• Work with all levels in the Library to determine core competencies and service quality required
for key positions within the organization and identify specific resources to ensure acquisition
and maintenance of those competencies and service qualities.
• Build effective partnerships with campus HR colleagues and within the Library to provide
• Develop and implement the use of learning objectives, training assessments, rubrics and other
processes to ensure the effectiveness of the learning and development activities.
• Perform needs analyses and review organizational resources to ensure that learning and
development resources exist or are developed to support projected competencies, service
qualities and organizational changes in alignment with the short and long-term goals of the
• Identify and implement standardized timelines, orientation, on-the-job and other learning and
developmental activities required for acquisition of core competencies and maintenance of
required knowledge and skills.
• Provide training for Librarians, Staff and Student Assistants. Assist others in providing training
for Librarians, Staff and Student Assistants.
• Research and identify external vendors that meet the Library’s training needs and work well in
our academic environment.
• Continuously evaluate learning activities and resources within the organization, including
instructor performance, to determine their effectiveness in meeting stated organizational goals
• Design, develop and maintain a library of learning resources.
• Assist as appropriate in the recruitment of librarian positions.
• Serve on Library or University committees as appropriate.
• ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent.
• Experience in the training/development initiatives of an organization, in library instruction at an academic library, or the equivalent.
• Demonstrated knowledge of learning concepts, training-and-development methods and
• Experience in developing and delivering adult-learning processes, instructional design
techniques, and evaluation methodologies.
• Excellent oral/written communication skills, including group facilitation and presentation skills.
• Strong analytical, statistical, quantitative, and deduction skills and ability to make qualitative
judgments of training, education and development resources in all types and formats.
• Strong planning and project management skills and ability to apply these skills in effective working partnerships across organizational lines.
• Potential for leadership in a collaborative and collegial setting.
• Productive attitude and enthusiasm for an innovative and changing environment.
• Ability to multitask and manage detail.
The Department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to
the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research,
teaching and service. The University of California is an Equal Opportunity
Affirmative Action employer.
Please send resume and cover letter with three professional references to the attention of:
Associate University Librarian
Organizational Development & Effectiveness
University of California Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara CA 93106-9010
To receive full consideration, applications should be received by January 31, 2013. Position is open until filled.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, January 5, 2013 18:35 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC