Senior Systems Engineer
Purdue University Libraries and School of Information Studies — West Lafayette, Indiana
1 other recent jobs
Created: May 18, 2022
Senior System Engineer
The Senior Systems Engineer will be an integral part of Libraries IT’s system engineering team and will:
- Develop, install, and maintain systems to support faculty, staff, and students, across the school and university.
- Work within a team environment to gather requirements, participate in design reviews, implement and/or integrate new functionality, secure systems, and assist with quality assurance.
- Create and maintain documentation to help train operational staff to provide support and provide some level of direct support to end users.
- Design, test, and implement departmental and enterprise level on-premises and hosted software and hardware solutions.
- Proactively identify and implement application upgrades and patches.
- Lead the team’s efforts by defining and coordinating the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures.
- Collaborate closely with project managers, functional leads, business analysts, IT technical staff, customers, and vendors.
- Utilize your expertise to review and architect current and innovative solutions.
- Proactively monitor application performance and ensure the security and accessibility of supported solutions.
- Contribute to the evaluation and assessment of potential solutions as well as provide technical support and coordination for implemented solutions.
- Maintain a broad understanding of the business area portfolio of applications
- Provide support for critical systems after hours and on weekends as needed
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor's degree in computer technology, computer science, computer engineering or related technical field
- Five (5) years of systems and server administration experience in Windows and Linux systems required
- Equivalent combinations of related education and experience will be considered
Preferred experiences include the following:
- Experience with hardware platforms, infrastructure systems and integration processes, experience working with vendor customer support on issue resolution, and experience with leading projects strongly preferred
- Experience working at a university or higher education environment
- Experience with IT security infrastructure, design, implementation, or integration of security technologies
- Experience with server automation, using tools such as Ansible or Puppet
- Experience in scripting using bash, python, and PowerShell
- Ability to work early mornings and/or late evenings and weekends, when necessary and not often.
- Demonstrated proficiency in executing collaborations and working closely with outside vendors/contractors
- Ability to coordinate implementations with end-users and stakeholders from various areas
- Ability to troubleshoot difficult and sometimes complex technical issues that lead to a stable working solution
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with limited supervision of daily tasks and projects and to coordinate work of others
- Self-motivated with a fervent desire to learn new skills, tools, and techniques to integrate innovative technology
- Knowledge of project management principles and security best practices
- Willingness to learn new tools and techniques to integrate innovative technology
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue
- Purdue University will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible for Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contribution Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
- Benefit Statement: Purdue University offers a substantial Benefit Package including medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as a generous paid time off package for sick and vacation days.
Last updated: Thursday, May 19, 2022 18:14 UTC