The New York Public Library (the Library) is looking for a Senior Product Designer to help shape the Library’s digital experience by creating interfaces that connect patrons to NYPL’s rich and unique collections and ensuring products meet standards of visual design, accessibility, and overall user experience to advance and support the mission of the Library.
The ideal candidate is comfortable working with complex data sets to create a holistic experience loves to create information-rich and elegant user interfaces, presenting information in accessible, accurate, and actionable way is committed to inclusive and accessible design has experience working on large projects from ideation to completion has experience designing for a wide range of patron and user types is inspired by the breadth and depth of the Library’s users and offerings.
NOTE: All applicants should submit a portfolio for review by the hiring manager. Please submit the link to your portfolio in the optional "cover letter" section of the application.
We are looking for someone we can count on to…
- The creation of engaging exploratory interfaces for data rich yet complex content sets, designed for different personas and their related goals
- Execution of long-term Product Design/UX goals by being heavily involved in the end-to-end product design process
- The definition, planning, and prioritization of user requirements per project
- Design decisions for projects based on overall Product/UX strategy
- Cultivate relationships with internal teams to promote user needs
- Best practices for data rich interfaces to the Digital team and the larger Library
- About NYPL - our culture, goals and strategy and the environment in which we work
- About the evolution of the Research Catalog and our strategic goal to make it an interface for a more unified discovery across multiple collections, enabling access for more of our patrons
- About the specific challenges and opportunities that digital technology introduces for our patrons, the Library in general and the work of our staff, vendors, and partners
- About the wide variety of patrons and staff who use NYPL as well as the large array of tools and collections NYPL offers
- The Library’s digital presentation of its collections and related data
- Ideation and collaboration between Product Design and the Research Libraries
- Our ability to connect patrons, in the digital space, to the specific materials and features they need
- User’s understanding of our offerings and capabilities of each offering
- Workflow and usability within staff facing systems
Last updated: Friday, April 29, 2022 15:48 UTC