The Applications Specialist is responsible for supporting the Lead and Manager in implementing and maintaining TPL’s enterprise applications on premises or in the cloud. The Specialist provides subject matter expertise on a grouping of applications, for either library services or corporate applications, and provides support in the selection and implementation of new applications. The Specialist is also responsible for on-going operational support which includes problem/incident resolution, routine maintenance, and delivering on enhancement and change requests. The Specialist also supports application roadmap planning and is accountable for maintaining current awareness of vendor product development cycles. In supporting the application portfolio, this Specialist works with business stakeholders to ensure applications deliver value and are meeting business requirements for functionality, availability, and performance.
Under the general direction of the designated Lead, and working within a team structure, this position is responsible for duties in Applications Selection & Implementation and in Applications Management & Support:
(1) Applications Selection and Implementation
· Working with the Enterprise Project Management Office (ePMO) on new application solution projects, Requests For Proposals (RFP), providing subject matter expertise in solution architecture requirements, design & build, analysis, evaluation, integration, implementation, and transition to operational support.
· Partnering and engaging with application vendors to ensure quality application delivery to meet business requirements.
· Analyzing and translating business requirements into practical technical solutions that fit into the Library’s overall technical architecture, future direction, and strategic plans.
· Participating in business workflow and process discussions in order to translate these to technical solutions
· Creating technical specification and application support documentation
· Creating quality support documentation for new applications and providing training to support team members (including Service Desk staff), for successful transition for application management & support.
· Leveraging emerging technologies, processes, and disciplines to deliver best in class technical solutions, applications, and system integrations
· Working closely with the ITS solution architects, Security, and Enterprise Technology teams during solution design for the assigned application area and projects.
(2) Applications Management and Support
· Acting as the Application Systems Administrator and as a technical Subject Matter Expert for assigned applications.
· Providing support, issue resolution, and request management for various applications, while working closely with other internal ITS teams, business, and vendors to resolve incidents and problems requiring multi-department involvement.
· Monitoring critical production processes, technologies, and applications that have high visibility and impact on business operations
· Proactively identifying application risk and mitigation, capacity availability & continuity management. Providing input to organizational disaster recovery and emergency planning.
· Partnering with business and technical groups to support ongoing business requirements.
· Working with the business and ITS lead/manager to assess, scope, prioritize, solution, test and implement application enhancement requests.
· Ensuring all operational activities comply with enterprise, industry, and government standards.
· Creating and maintaining quality support documentation for assigned applications. Ensuring all application changes are thoroughly tested and implemented into production following the Library’s change management process.
· Designing, creating, and maintaining automated reports using modern automation tools and scripting applying sound data analysis methodologies.
· Researching, developing, testing and recommending process improvements and automation solutions for driving efficiencies, stability, cost savings
· Working closely with the ITS team to collaborate on technical issues and solutions and providing knowledge transfer, training, and documentation
· Working closely with library vendors to resolve technical issues, facilitate application upgrades as part of the application life cycle management, and implement software enhancements while holding vendors accountable for contractual obligations and Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
· Participating in regular team, project, business, and committee meetings.
· Evening, weekend and callback work may be required
· Performing other duties as assigned.
· Up to three years’ post-secondary education in the field of Information Technology
· Minimum of five (5) years related application support experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
· Demonstrated domain knowledge of enterprise-wide business and technical processes
· Proven experience working with designated current TPL applications (either Library or Corporate applications), as defined in the job posting (ex. Symphony ILS, Self-checkout, Collection Digitization)
· Proven experience working within established enterprise architecture frameworks in large organizations
· Proven understanding of best practices for applications, data security and ITIL
· Understanding and experience working on projects using Agile and Waterfall methodologies, following SDLC methodology
· Ability to work simultaneously on multiple projects and assignments with high quality deliverables
· Demonstrated ability to work autonomously including the ability to plan and organize work that is in alignment with projects and organizational deadlines
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with diverse stakeholders
· Ability to perform work requiring sound judgement, initiative, and analytical skills
· Ability to visit or work from over 100 Library branches across Toronto
Last updated: Tuesday, April 26, 2022 19:27 UTC