TO APPLY: Interested candidates should apply on the Newberry Library's Career Center found thorugh https://www.newberry.org/employment. Please, no phone calls.
SUMMARY: Working in the Digital Initiatives and Services department under the guidance of Newberry librarians, the Digital Asset Management Intern will participate in enabling public access to digitized books, images, audio, video, and other materials from the Newberry’s collections.
The duration and work hours for this position are flexible, but ideally, the incumbent must work a consistent schedule between 15 to 35 hours per week for nine weeks with a start date in May 2022.
- Perform batch uploading of digital files into Cortex, the Newberry’s digital asset management system;
- Execute catalog searches to add IDs to legacy digital files; migrate IDs from Aeon, the Newberry’s circulation software, to new digital files;
- Migrate and transform metadata from crowdsourcing projects, legacy digital collections, inventories, and other sources;
- Perform batch processing of OCR to enable full text searching; complete file renaming projects;
- Assist with post-ingest content review and quality control tasks;
- Assist in creating and maintaining procedural documentation, and;
- Other relevant duties, as assigned.
- Must be currently enrolled in a bachelor or graduate level program, with prior coursework in the digital humanities, library and information science, or computer science preferred;
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency working in Microsoft/Windows environment, and demonstrated facility for learning new concepts, skills, and technologies;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail;
- Interest in the Newberry’s scholarly and public mission, collections, and audiences.
SCHEDULE: This is either a part- or full-time, nonexempt position, with a schedule determined upon offer. Work will be performed during normal Library hours, between 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. The incumbent will be required to work in person.
BENEFITS: This position is ineligible for health benefits.
How to apply
Published: Friday, April 1, 2022 18:54 UTC
Last updated: Friday, April 1, 2022 18:54 UTC