Notch8, a division of Scientist.com, is looking for a driven Mid Level Developer to join our team. We are looking for a talented, motivated problem-solver with good collaboration skills. A successful candidate will have 1-4 years experience as a developer and an aptitude for mentoring others. Though we are San Diego-based, we have successfully gone fully remote in 2020 and are open to candidates in any location in the United States.
- Take the lead in directing and implementing solutions to moderately complex, loosely scoped problems.
- Enable other engineers on your team to be successful.
- Mentor other developers (pair programming, code reviews, feedback).
Candidates who meet most but not all requirements for this position are encouraged to apply.
- You have a methodical and reasoned approach to debugging and problem solving in your own code or in others code, and can solve these issues with support or guidance from colleagues.
- You are capable of estimating a well-scoped task.
- You have strong communications skills, in venues including slack, email, and meetings.
- You mentor other developers (pair programming, code reviews, feedback, one-on-ones).
- You utilize techniques to improve quality, like using linting tools, best practices for the language or framework, sufficient amount of tests, and well formed naming of items.
- You identify areas where common templates, starter-kits, shared-libraries or approaches could deliver efficiencies and improve quality.
- You have an appreciation of non-functional requirements (e.g. performance, security, accessibility), their importance, and knowledge of tools used to verify they have been met.
- You are able to present to small groups or clients, you are able to present at a level that is understood by your audience, i.e not completely technically focused.
- You deliver projects independently or by leading your teammates.
- You learn from failure: you admit mistakes and you share your learnings with the team.
- You are comfortable working independently on larger software components.
- You manage time well.
- You recognise that a strong team is one which brings together the most diverse group of people.
- You create a genuinely inclusive team environment where everyone feels welcome, heard and valued, no matter their background.
- You act as a role model in actively encouraging everyone to value difference, and you’re quick to challenge any behaviors which damage this.
Benefits of Working for Notch8 and Scientist.com:
- Dedicated hours allocated to professional development
- Being an autonomous member of a collaborative and supportive team
- Flexible work hours – we make work-life balance a priority
- Work-from-home and remote work options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision and 401K plans
- Member of a strong community network in both the local San Diego tech scene and the international Samvera community
Notch8 was started in 2007 with the intent of creating a healthy work environment, focused on quality products and building good relationships, both internally and externally. Today, Notch8 is proud of our reputation for leadership in the local tech community, as well as the Ruby and Samvera communities. We believe in a virtuous cycle of happy: happy engineers build great software; great software makes happy clients. We also believe all team members have the right to:
- Strong community involvement
- Trust, respect, and autonomy
- Great work-life balance
Scientist.com was Notch8’s first client, and in 2021 we formally became part of the Scientist.com family. Read more about our shared goals and values at https://www.scientist.com/careers/. (Note that this position is not posted on the Scientist.com career site and there’s no need to apply there.)
Notch8 and Scientist.com are committed to maintaining a diverse work environment, which benefits our company and our clients. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider applications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, family status, age, or veteran status.
Send your resume or CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration for this position.
Last updated: Tuesday, March 22, 2022 16:14 UTC