DescriptionThis position takes a leading role in providing library services related to data and geographical information, focusing on but not limited to government information sources. Residing within the Research and Information Services unit of the Humanities and Social Sciences Services department, this position will establish strong ties with the library’s newly formed research data support service unit, in order to provide researchers with comprehensive services related to the creation, management, use and discovery of data. The position’s focus is on helping users locate existing sources of data, helping users access and utilize those sources, and acquiring new sources as necessary. In addition, the position provides services related to geographical content in all formats, working with the GIS experts located in the Scholars’ Lab.
- Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science or post-graduate degree in a related discipline
- At least 2 years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of available data sources from the federal government and IGOs, especially Census Bureau data
- Ability to access, manipulate and display third-party data and a working knowledge of software tools and web applications (American FactFinder, Dataferret, etc) available for these purposes
- Ability to manage the library’s geographical and map collections in all formats, including paper and digital
- Strong public service orientation
- Ability to provide reference services to library users through one-on-one consultation and through virtual methods
- Ability to work as part of cross-departmental teams
- Well-developed organization and planning skills
- Exceptional ability to think innovatively and strategically in order to solve complex problems
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to teach and present in front of groups
To Apply: Review of applications will begin on 12/17/2012 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants must apply through the University of Virginia online employment website at https://jobs.virginia.edu/ Search by posting number 0611282,complete application, and attach cover letter and resume, with contact information for three current, professional references. For assistance with this process contact Al Sapienza, Associate Dean for Library Administration at (434) 243-8636.
The University of Virginia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer strongly committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The University actively encourages applications and nominations from members of underrepresented groups.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 19:27 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC