Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU) is a U.S.-based non-profit organization that cultivates peer learning in public spaces around the world through an informal education model that we call learning circles. Our organizations’ role supporting learning circles is multifaceted: we build open source software for managing meetings, we train groups to facilitate learning circles, we maintain an online community for facilitators, and we develop and curate open educational resources. We recently launched two exciting new initiatives: an institutional membership program for library systems and credit-bearing learning circles in partnership with College Unbound.
We are now looking for a part-time contractor to support the UI/UX and front-end development of our open source learning circle tools and resources. This initial contract will focus on three distinct software features: supporting learning circles with multiple facilitators, deploying custom surveys on a team-by-team basis, and implementing a notification tool for upcoming learning circles. Upon successful completion of this project, there may be additional projects to follow.
We estimate this work to take approximately 40 days of work, to be completed on a part time basis between May and July 2022 at a rate between $300-$400/day depending on your level of experience. You can be based anywhere in the world so long as you can regularly meet between 8AM–12PM Eastern US time.
- Work with P2PU Community Coordinator to synthesize user feedback and understand user interactions.
- Develop wireframes with input from the P2PU team and external collaborators.
- Work with the P2PU Development Lead to implement frontend UI using React.
- Contribute to current front-end components and libraries for future reuse.
- Optimize components for mobile-first usage and low connectivity environments.
- Identify, track, and address usability issues as they arise.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience building using Jamstack (in our case it’s a Jekyll static site using React components to pull data from a Django backend API).
- Comfort making low- and medium-fidelity wireframes using Figma.
- Familiarity with GitHub for version control.
- Strong understanding and background designing user experiences for the web with a focus on efficiency, aesthetics, and accessibility.
- Experience designing user flows and interfaces following existing brand guidelines.
- Experience with the full life cycle of software feature development, from exploration to design to implementation to testing and refinement.
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for challenging the hegemony of formal education through community-based learning.
- Organized self-starter able to set and meet deadlines, proactively communicate, and create or improve internal processes when needed.
- Comfort working in a distributed/online setting alongside a small team spread across 9 time zones.
How to apply
TO APPLY: Please send a short cover letter and resume as a single pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org with “front end web developer” as the subject line. In your cover letter, please let us know how this work aligns with your personal and professional interests and why you are well suited for the job. Additionally, please include links to any relevant prior work that you’ve completed.
P2PU does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Published: Thursday, March 17, 2022 18:26 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, March 17, 2022 18:26 UTC