Interdisciplinary GIS Library
Created: December 19, 2012
University of Southern California Los Angeles0 other recent jobs
DescriptionThe University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seek an Interdisciplinary GIS Library Fellow for a two year appointment as a Contract Librarian serving as the inaugural Fellow for the USC Libraries’ Fellowship Program. The Fellowship Program aims to provide Fellows with a strong foundation in the principles and practices of academic research librarianship as well as an opportunity to learn about specialization within the profession.
The Interdisciplinary GIS Library Fellow will focus on developing competencies in GIS and library services for supporting spatial research across a range of academic disciplines. During the first year of the appointment, the Fellow will work in a variety of library units to support GIS and other spatial information needs. At the end of the first year, the Fellow will generate a report with findings and recommendations. Over the course of the second year, the Fellow will propose and implement Library approved GIS-related projects and initiatives. Implementation of projects may consist of creating online learning modules, conducting workshops in conjunction with key GIS stakeholders across campus, geocoding unique library collections, or planning library events. The Fellow will be expected to develop and promote GIS-specific library data services and spatial literacy across campus. The Fellow will also contribute to librarywide reference and instruction initiatives and may be assigned collection development duties.
USC Libraries will provide the Fellow with training and mentoring. The Fellow is also eligible for professional development support.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Reporting to the Fellowship Program Advisor, the Interdisciplinary GIS Library Fellow will:
- Develop competencies in GIS and spatial research skills across a range of academic disciplines, material types, and library settings
- Provide GIS and spatial reference and instruction
- As directed, evaluate, develop, and maintain the geospatial resources and library collections and services
- Under direction from the Fellowship Program Advisor, implement Library-approved GIS-related projects and initiatives• Assist with promoting and developing GIS-specific data services within the USC Libraries
- Participate in training (including GIS-related) programs, mentoring, and targeted professional development opportunities
- Contribute to library-wide reference and instruction initiatives and collection development duties, as assigned
Minimum qualifications: MLS from an ALA-accredited program or non-U.S. equivalent is typically required for a librarian appointment at USC. Less than one year experience as a professional librarian. In addition, candidates must have demonstrated:
- Basic understanding of ARC-GIS software and/or other statistical software (SPSS, SAS, Stata)
- Knowledge of the principles of librarianship including: traditional and electronic information resources, information literacy, reference, instruction, collection development and cataloging
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- The ability to work independently as well as with colleagues and library users from diverse backgrounds
- Capability to manage multiple priorities calmly and effectively and meet deadlines
- A strong public service orientation and the ability to work in a collegial, collaborative and diverse environment
- Commitment to diversity, open communication, and academic excellence
- Interest in professional development and contribution.
- Degree or certificate in Geography, Spatial Analysis, GIS or a related field
- Knowledge of foreign languages, especially Chinese, Japanese and Korean, Latin, or German
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 17:06 UTC