Pay grade: PS809 (PDF)
Required Minimum Qualifications:
High school diploma or equivalent and 3 years of related experience
- Working knowledge of the Drupal content management system.
- Demonstrated experience in administration using a LAMP stack (Linux/Unix, Apache, MySQL, PHP/PERL) environment.
- Working knowledge of at least one programming language (PHP, Ruby, Python, etc.) and command-line utilities.
- Working knowledge of accessible design frameworks and best practices.
- Experience working with Git or Github for version control and development workflows.
- Demonstrated commitment to the value of diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
The Iowa State University Library is seeking applications for a Software Developer to join the Web Services Team within our Information Technology department. Among the tasks performed by the team is making sure the library's web presence adheres to current usability standards, is accessible, follows university guidelines, and caters to our diverse community of faculty, staff, students, and external audiences interested in our library collections and services.
As part of this position, you will be responsible for developing, maintaining, and supporting websites and applications using existing open-source software/repositories (Drupal, Islandora). Working with functional stakeholders across the library, you will identify user needs and implement solutions to meet unique technical challenges to enhance user experience. Your role will focus on database development, scripting, backend logic, APIs, and website architecture.
An upcoming project for the University Library involves a comprehensive website overhaul, including a redesign of the site's information architecture and improvements to the overall appearance, content, and design of the site. You will engage in collaboration with the campus web community on shared endeavors, as well as design and manage the libraries' web server infrastructure to support specialized websites, digital collections, online exhibits, and discovery services.
Example of Duties
- Consults with end users to define and document specifications and scope of projects
- Conducts a variety of software development tasks including program design, program coding, debugging, and documentation for software/systems and applications programs
- Develops detailed systems design specifications to meet defined requirements
- Modifies, maintains, troubleshoots, and supports existing software
- Develops new software services, databases, and application systems
- Writes Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) to bridge between vendor systems
- Works on assignments that are generally of a moderately difficult technical nature and may involve leadership responsibilities for application system components
- May provide direction to a small group of students or support personnel
- Intermediate-level position with solid professional and/or technical skills working under general supervision to achieve goals
- Applies broad, working knowledge of the principles of the field to moderately complex, difficult, and varied problems and issues
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action and resolve problems
- Responds to a broad range of inquiries and requests
- May provide training and/or direction to lower-level staff
- May lead projects of moderate scope and complexity
- Provides guidance to students
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
- Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans;
- Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans;
- Onsite childcare;
- Life insurance and long-term disability;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Various voluntary benefits and discounts;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Wellbeing program;
- This job may also be eligible for flexible work schedules and flexible workplace options that may include flexible working hours and a hybrid working environment.
How to apply
Lisa Smith, Library IT Director, email@example.com
Published: Thursday, March 10, 2022 15:12 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, March 10, 2022 15:12 UTC