ORCID is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic professional for the position of Content Marketing Writer. If you like the flexibility of a remote organization and the public-service orientation of a non-profit, join us on our mission to connect research and researchers!
Who We Are
ORCID is a mission-driven, member-supported, community-governed non-profit organization. Our vision is a world where all who participate in research, scholarship, and innovation are uniquely identified and connected to their contributions across disciplines, borders, and time. Every one of ORCID’s employees is committed to that vision as well.
We believe in and operate by our three main values [read our Dignity at Work statement]. ORCID strives to be:
- Inclusive: We make decisions collaboratively, involving our staff, Board, those who support our mission, and the researchers and community that are the purpose of our work. We take a global view.
- Trusted: Privacy and researcher control underscores everything we do.
- Open: Our work is open, transparent, and non-proprietary.
To Apply: Please submit your application through the URL provided for more information, including a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please tell us the name of your favorite plant and why. ORCID encourages applicants who meet some, but not all of the requirements and qualifications, to apply.
ORCID is seeking a Content Marketing Writer to create and manage the distribution of well-researched, original content for our blog, website, social media accounts, and other channels to promote awareness of and engagement with ORCID. We are looking for someone who has a knack for translating complex technical information into compelling, substantive, jargon-free content that informs and inspires. If you are familiar with the research and scholarly communication ecosystem that’s a bonus! We are a fully remote company and the successful candidate will possess the technical and communications skills required to collaborate with a multi-cultural, globally distributed team. If you like to foster teamwork and genuine collaboration, are self-motivated, organized, dedicated, and enjoy the mission-driven environment of a fast-paced maturing non-profit organization, this could be the job for you.
The position reports to the Director of Communications and will be part of the Communications team. Our ideal candidate will be able to develop and manage compelling, effective content; forge productive collaborations with internal and external partners; and will thrive in an environment of continual learning and improvement.
Develop and manage compelling, effective content
- Oversee the content development life cycle: ideation, research, drafting, editing, managing editorial calendars, distribution, promotion, and engagement analysis of blog posts, web content, copy for social media campaigns, video scripts, and copy for infographic or other training or outreach material such as slide decks.
- Develop high-quality content that is compelling, substantive, and jargon-free for audiences that have varying degrees of technical expertise.
- Develop innovative content strategies that leverage your expertise in writing marketing content to support ORCID goals and priorities, that aligns with ORCID values, and incorporates established branding, messaging, and voice.
Forge productive collaborations
- Build professional and trusting working relationships with teammates and external stakeholders to help strengthen the momentum of Comms team initiatives and support overall ORCID goals and priorities.
- Coordinate with internal and external subject matter experts (SMEs) as necessary to develop collaborative content such as interviews or success stories with community members or ORCID users.
- Brainstorm with team members and external partners and community stakeholders to develop creative, effective, and timely content.
Cultivate continual improvement
- Analyze performance indicators for blog and social media accounts to determine the effectiveness of created content towards realizing ORCID goals and priorities. This requires knowledge of and/or willingness to learn about SEO best practices for digital and online content.
- Conduct needs analyses or interview internal customers to ensure stakeholder requirements are being met.
- Update legacy content to align with and include new value stories for all our stakeholder groups.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Minimum 2 years of experience in technical or science-related writing positions
- Ability to work on multiple projects with different objectives simultaneously and juggle varied workstreams
- Ability to research industry topics to generate content for a variety of stakeholder groups
- Excellent self-editing/proofreading capability
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize responsibilities with an understanding that priorities may change quickly
- Ability to learn new concepts and skills quickly
- Strong organizational skills
- Scholarly comms background a big plus but not required
- Experience working and engaging in global, multicultural, and virtual team environments
- Excellent communication, presentation, and collaboration skills
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple demands and shifting priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Tech savvy and the ability to learn and administer new systems and tools quickly
- Fluency in English required. Additional languages are a plus
- Ability to travel based upon business needs (less than 10% - once deemed safe)
As a global, 100% remote organization, ORCID is able to find the best and brightest minds in the industry. Our team includes individuals with broad and diverse backgrounds who are globally distributed. We are fluent in many languages, and we all have an innate tech savviness which helps guide our product development, support, and customer experience.
We recently formed a committee of dedicated team members who meet regularly to ensure our global diversity, equity, and inclusion needs are being met, addressed, and amplified. As a fully remote organization, we also have an active committee dedicated to making our individual remote experiences as positive and productive as possible.
Although we are geographically diverse, we are a small, cohesive community of thinkers and doers committed to excellence and to each other.
A family-friendly, flexible working environment, including:
- Flexible work hours and the ability to work fully from home (when not travelling)
- A committed and awesome team serving a community-driven organization
- Competitive compensation & benefits, plus an ORCID-wide closure (day off) the first Friday of each month
- A continuous learning environment with opportunities for training & professional development
- Tools to support our virtual office environment, including a budget to choose your preferred laptop and a remote working stipend
Published: Friday, January 14, 2022 00:02 UTC
Last updated: Friday, January 14, 2022 00:02 UTC