The Data Lifecycle and Scalable Workflows Group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking a senior software engineer focused on large-scale data management and storage. The Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) operates several simulation and experimental facilities such as the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility (OLCF), Spallation Neutron Source (SNS), Center for Nanophase Materials (CNMS), Building Technology Research and Integration Center (BTRIC), and several others, that produce large volumes of data. There is the immediate need to manage these petabytes of data efficiently and provide user-facing tools for organizing, cataloging, curating, publishing, and searching the data assets. We are seeking an expert software developer/engineer who excels in developing scalable data management software systems, and at solving interdisciplinary problems. Successful candidate(s) will possess the necessary technical skills to take on existing and new challenges, particularly in large-scale data management and storage.
This position is part of the Advanced Technologies Section within the National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) Division. The NCCS provides state-of-the-art computational and data science infrastructure, coupled with dedicated technical and scientific professionals, to accelerate scientific discovery and engineering advances across a broad range of disciplines. NCCS hosts the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, one of DOE’s National User Facilities. NCCS will deploy an exascale system in 2021.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Architect and develop scalable data management systems to manage petabytes of data.
- Lead a team of research and technical professionals to develop new capabilities that execute on ORNL’s leading data and compute infrastructures.
- Principle Investigator / project manager for OLCF/ORNL public data portal, Constellation.
- Develop storage microservices.
- Develop software for the scalable cataloging of billions of datasets.
- Develop software for capturing and extracting metadata from scientific datasets.
- Develop software for creating scalable indexes of the captured metadata to facilitate efficient searches.
- Develop software for the scalable upload and download of datasets.
- Evaluate hardware and software that might be deployed in the future.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field and 8+ years of relevant experience.
- 5+ years of experience leading data management development.
- Experience in writing production code in programming languages such as C++ or Python.
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes and Openhift.
- Experience with web platforms (e.g., Drupal/Wordpress).
- Experience with REST APIs, HTTP.
- Experience with large-scale storage solutions.
- 10+ years of experience leading data management development.
- Knowledge of large, open-data repositories.
- Experience with Globus integration
- Experience with CD/CI practices, test methodologies.
- Knowledge of distributed file systems used for large-scale cluster computing (Lustre, GPFS, etc.)
- Familiarity with open-source development tools and large-scale collaborations.
- Knowledge of Agile development methodologies and tools.
- Knowledge of metadata, graph databases, etc.
- Architectural knowledge of scalable distributed system architectures.
- Passion for data management and data technologies.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to think critically.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Highly skilled in people management/development, strong communication skills, and an impeccable attention to detail.
- Team oriented, collaborative.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 17:46 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 17:46 UTC