We are looking for a dynamic, self-motivated, technology-curious professional to fill the position of Software Developer in the Digital Archives unit of the GBH Archives. This position will join a team of two other developers and work on a range of platforms such as the Avalon Media System, the American Archive of Public Broadcasting, the Archives’ Archival Metadata System (which is a Samvera/Fedora application), and the Mellon-funded CLAMS project.
Full-stack software development
Front-end development using template-based libraries and JS frameworks
Audiovisual streaming integration and presentation
Creating and maintaining technical documentation
Collecting usage data from public and private systems and creating reports
Collaboratively managing Dev-Ops and deployment using Capistrano, Ansible, Docker, and Bamboo
Analyzing performance of software systems and optimizing accordingly
Extends and maintains public-facing and internal archival repository systems for GBH's Media Library and Archives
Consults with stakeholders and external partners to review current software solutions and determine appropriate architecture for new projects
Create and maintain comprehensive automated test coverage for essential Archives' software and systems
Provide training and support to archival staff in order to run scripts and employ other department workflows as part of their duties
Contributes to project planning and estimating time needed to complete tasks.
Researches available software and approaches for new projects, and provides such recommendations to stakeholders
Ensures that all utilized software and systems meet standards for security, performance, usability, and accessibility
- Experience with relational database technologies such as SQL
- Experience using git to track and review code changes as part of a team.
- Solid understanding of the MVC design pattern.
- Experience in web services using Ruby on Rails and/or Python.
- Experience working in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Experience with or knowledge of digital repository technologies, including Samvera, Fedora, and Blacklight.
- Experience with agile development methodologies, particularly Scrum.
- Experience working with digital image, audio, and video formats.
- Experience with or knowledge of library systems and library metadata formats, such as MODS and Dublin Core.
- Experience with or knowledge of the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) specifications.
- Experience with or knowledge of search index technologies such as Solr and Elasticsearch.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree or relatd work experience required (preferably in computer science or a related field).
- 2 years of software development or related experience.
- 2 years of experience in the development of complex web applications, using Ruby on Rails and/or Python.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, December 23, 2021 18:24 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, December 23, 2021 18:24 UTC