Academic Systems Technologist
The Academic Systems Technologist is a member of the Academic Technology team in Barnard Library’s Instructional Media and Technology Services (IMATS), reporting to the Director of IMATS and supporting digital infrastructure for BLAIS, our partners in the Milstein Centers, and curricular and faculty projects. This role will take the lead on back-end services and applications, developing and maintaining technical infrastructure for a range of systems, including networked attached storage, web hosting, the Archives’ digital collections, and others. The Academic Systems Technologist fosters collaborative relationships across the organization, works on multiple projects at a time, anticipates potential issues, and provides proactive solutions.
Review of applications will begin on January 26th, 2022
The candidate selected for this position may perform remote work, or a combination of remote work and on-site work. The remote work schedule will be subject to approval and periodic review in alignment with the College’s Flexible and Adaptive work processes.
Lead back-end technical support for IMATS, BLAIS, and Milstein Centers
- Supports the back-end of IMATS academic technology services, administering the IMATS web hosting platform on MediaTemple. This includes installing front-end applications like Omeka or WordPress for course projects, managing website back-ups, handling security updates, and maintaining DNS records.
- In collaboration with the Associate Director for UX & Academic Technologies, helps create and maintain IMATS web hosting policies.
- Supports technical services for the digital Archives – works with the IMATS Senior Software & Applications Developer, the Barnard College Archives, and Barnard College IT (BCIT) to build, populate, configure, and maintain a digital archives stack, and/or work with contracted vendors around the digital archives migration and maintenance processes.
- Supports technical services for the Library – works with the Library Collections & Operations team to improve data collection and reporting processes.
- Supports technical infrastructure for the Milstein Centers – works with Milstein Coordinator on needs assessments across the Milstein Centers; provides services such as helping to set up and maintain network attached storage servers, or researches and proposes application solutions related to assessment needs.
Provide technical support around academic technologies
- Assess, create, and modify policies and procedures for the adoption, licensing, cataloging, and piloting of software and/or systems in collaboration with the IMATS technology team and other stakeholders.
- Liaising with CUIT (Columbia IT), leads technical integration of LTIs (third party applications) into our instance of Canvas Courseworks (our LMS)
- Collaborating with the Associate Director for UX & Academic Technologies and the Academic Technology Specialist, liaise with partners at BCIT (Barnard IT) and CUIT (Columbia IT) on data privacy and information security policies for academic technologies
- Working closely with the IMATS academic technology team as well as other campus partners like the Center for Engaged Pedagogy, provides instructional and training materials and support for third-party applications
- Provide support with course evaluations tools and processes to build up team redundancy for that work
Additional job responsibilities and duties as needed
How to apply
Published: Monday, December 20, 2021 23:50 UTC
Last updated: Monday, December 20, 2021 23:50 UTC