LYRASIS is seeking a Lead Mobile Application Developer for the Palace Project initiative (www.thepalaceproject.org) for public libraries. The Palace Project is a transformational library-centered platform and content marketplace designed to make public libraries the digital center of knowledge and creativity in their communities. The project aims to provide equitable access to all types of digital content (ebooks, audiobooks, textbooks, and more), bolster the relationship between libraries and their patrons, protect patron privacy and enable libraries to serve all their e-content to patrons in a single app.
The Palace Project's technology platform is open-source and was initially developed for public library use by the New York Public Library (called SimplyE). It has two main components. There is a server-based administrative tool that aggregates content from a library's electronic and audiobook suppliers and integrates with the library's ILS for patron authentication. There also is a mobile app (iOS and Android) called Palace that provides access to this aggregated content for library patrons to search, browse, checkout and download.
We are looking for a Lead Mobile App Developer to lead the development of the Palace apps. This person will understand both the Android and iOS platforms and have strong experience in managing software development projects. This role will lead our mobile development team in the execution of the technical development roadmap to add new features, improve existing code, and troubleshoot issues in the app. It will also work closely with our product and ops teams in organizing and prioritizing the roadmap.
The Palace Project's open-source code is available here: https://github.com/ThePalaceProject
This is a remote position working with a distributed team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Required: All applicants should have the following:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in a related field
- 8+ years software development experience
- 4+ years mobile app development experience
- 3+ years leading a software development team
- Ability to organize complex requirements and work within tight deadlines
- Experience in managing project timelines across 2 mobile apps simultaneously
- Strong knowledge of current mobile development best practices
- Expertise in Java, Kotlin, Objective-C and Swift
- Familiarity with automated software testing and test-driven development
- Proven ability to interact with other developers and business teams
- Effective oral and written communication skills including writing technical documentation
- Self-starter who excels in time management, organization, and prioritization
Preferred: It is preferable if applicants have one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of DRM/content licensing requirements
- Code from a previous project that we can review
- One or more production mobile applications in the App Store
- Experience writing specifications for client-server protocols
- Experience with accessibility in mobile apps
- Experience combining similar code/functionality from multiple platforms
- Experience working on a remote team
- Experience contributing to an open-source project
LYRASIS is a 501c3 non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support enduring access to the world's shared academic, scientific and cultural heritage through leadership in open technologies, content services, digital solutions and collaboration with archives, libraries, museums and knowledge communities worldwide.
LYRASIS was created by its members to help them tackle wide-reaching challenges. LYRASIS is organized into three primary units of focus - community supported/open-source software, technology hosting services and content creation and acquisition. In addition to these business units, we also offer specific programs such as consulting, training, fiscal services and more.
At LYRASIS, one of our core values is to provide an inclusive environment to all who are employed here. Therefore, the company is intentional in providing fair and equitable employment opportunities to all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training
Published: Thursday, December 16, 2021 17:14 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, December 16, 2021 17:14 UTC