LYRASIS is seeking a DevOps Engineer for the Palace Project initiative (www.thepalaceproject.org) for public libraries. The Palace Project is a transformational library-centered platform and content marketplace designed to make public libraries the digital center of knowledge and creativity in their communities. The project aims to provide equitable access to all types of digital content (ebooks, audiobooks, textbooks and more), bolster the relationship between libraries and their patrons, protect patron privacy and enable libraries to serve all their e-content to patrons in a single app.
The Palace Project's technology platform is open-source and was initially developed for public library use by the New York Public Library (called SimplyE). It has two main components. There is a server-based administrative tool that aggregates content from a library's electronic and audio book suppliers and integrates with the library's ILS for patron authentication. There also is a mobile app (iOS and Android) called Palace that provides access to this aggregated content for library patrons to search, browse, checkout and download.
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to work as part of the implementation team to ensure smooth operation and implementation for libraries. This person should have experience working with web based platforms and mobile apps, and worked as part of a larger development team.
The Palace Project's open-source code is available here: https://github.com/ThePalaceProject
This is a remote position working with a distributed team
Duties / Job Responsibilities
- Developing and maintaining DevOps infrastructure tools
- Triaging bugs and issues reported, resolving where possible, or handing off with detailed analysis to development team
- Deploying appropriate hardware to support new clients' instances of the software
- Monitoring and adjusting hardware/software to insure proper performance
- Develop and manage web based dashboard to monitor system performance
- Applying software upgrades to client instances as/when they become available
- Managing QA and test infrastructure for the Palace project and adding new test scripts for new functionality as needed
- Writing technical documentation and provide training as needed
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Understanding of the open-source software development process and life cycle
- Ability to troubleshoot application, database, network, and operating system-related issues
- Understanding of incident, problem, change, and release management practices
- Proven ability to interact with other developers and business teams
- Effective oral and written communication skills, including experience producing technical documentation
- Must possess self-directed initiative and excel in the areas of time management, organization, and prioritization
- Strong customer service orientation and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
Technical Experience and Training
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in a related field
- Experience writing unit and integration tests, especially tests for web / mobile UIs with Selenium / Appium
- Familiarity with test driven development and software testing
- 3 years of software development and/or devops experience
- Experience in open-source software development and cloud-deployment practices
- Experience with Linux, Python, Postgres
- Experience with AWS, Terraform, Ansible, Docker
- Familiarity with mobile development and web front-end technologies
- Ability to learn new programming languages and deployment environments
- Issue and Ticket tracking systems (ZenDesk, BaseCamp, Github Issues, Jira)
- Familiarity with digital rights management systems (DRM)
- Experience working in a remote position
LYRASIS is a 501 c 3 non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support enduring access to the world's shared academic, scientific, and cultural heritage through leadership in open technologies, content services, digital solutions and collaboration with archives, libraries, museums, and knowledge communities worldwide.
LYRASIS was created by its members to help them tackle wide-reaching challenges. LYRASIS is organized into three primary units of focus - community supported/open-source software, technology hosting services and content creation and acquisition. In addition to these business units, we also offer specific programs such as consulting, training, fiscal services and more.
At LYRASIS, one of our core values is to provide an inclusive environment to all who are employed here. Therefore, the company is intentional in providing fair and equitable employment opportunities to all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, December 16, 2021 17:15 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, December 16, 2021 17:15 UTC