The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) seeks an End User and Network Systems Support Specialist to support Center for Research Libraries operations. Reporting to the Network and Systems Administrator, the End User and Network Systems Support Specialist provides on-site technical expertise and assistance to ensure that the Center's computers and network efficiently and reliably support the networked environment for staff and users worldwide. CRL is in an exciting growth period and this position will be integral to helping the organization meet its aspirations.
The End User and Network Systems Support Specialist is responsible for the set-up, installation, and maintenance of desktop hardware and software and fulfilling end-user service requests. The Systems Administrator supports the Network and Systems Administrator in routine server maintenance and is the designated back-up to the Systems Administrator with regard to all aspects of network operations and maintenance.
Based in Chicago, Illinois, CRL is an international consortium of university, college, and independent research libraries that works against historic, systemic inequities by: advancing open and equitable access to knowledge through partnerships that span open knowledge policy, infrastructure, and analytics; engaging in collections work grounded in anti-racist and post-custodial frameworks that support communities historically under-engaged by the organization; supporting collections as data development that enables expanded form of scholarly and professional engagement with the scholarly record; and by committing to the responsible operationalization of technology.
- Desktop support
- Performs initial PC builds, configures and installs new computers
- Troubleshoots and resolves problems relating to existing desktop systems
- Provides input and assistance, as needed, to other technical personnel for resolving problems associated with library and Web applications and/or networking issues, as they relate to the desktop environment
- Participates in planning and contributes to establishing requirements and schedules for applications enhancements and upgrades to existing systems
- Supports the deployment and implementation of computer systems upgrades and enhancements
- Trouble shoots problems, identifies and implements solutions for rectifying systems malfunctions and attaining improved performance
- Enables and disables systems access, as required
- Assigns systems privileges, in accordance with systems access, applies and maintains systems security measures and standards and provides user account management
- Develops expertise for applying and maintaining entire suite of enterprise software tools
- Develops orientation outlines, materials. Schedules and conducts desktop orientation and fundamental training for new staff
- Coordinates, schedules and/or delivers specialized one on one training and assistance to ensure that end users are able to fully and properly use new and existing office automation systems and tools
- Maintains on-line reports in Confluence and Cold Fusion
- Other, related duties may be assigned.
- Network & systems administration
Server and Network Administration:
- Assigns network privileges to users through Active Directory and LDAT, maintains security, and provides user account management
- Participates in developing specifications for the installation and configuration of servers and network components
- Installs and configures Windows-based host servers and network components in accordance to specification
- Conducts first-level troubleshooting of Windows servers and network problems
- Provides ongoing network administration support as assigned for: VMWare; EMC storage; firewall configuration updates; network-wide backups arid restore; arid storage quota management; security and user account management
- Other, related duties may be assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
An Associates Degree is required for this role.
STRONG CANDIDATES WILL:
- Demonstrate ability to interact and communicate with diverse groups of information professionals to include librarians, bibliographers, scholars, administrators, vendors and information systems professionals and information entrepreneur
- Demonstrate ability to work, prioritize and accomplish objectives in a multi-task environment
- Have one to three years of experience maintaining and troubleshooting LAN networks, hardware, software, and support
- Have one to three years of experience maintaining and troubleshooting PCs, servers, and other network equipment for an organization of at least 30 users.
- Have one to three years of experience with one or more of the following: Amazon Web Services, Office 365, Microsoft Windows Server: 1 year (2008, 2012 R2, 2016, 2019), VMWare, Linux, mySQL, Avaya PBX
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time, permanent position with a salary range of $50,000–$55,000. The End User and Network Systems Support Specialist works on site at our facility in Chicago, Illinois (Hyde Park). CRL offers competitive benefits including health, dental, and disability insurance, sick leave, and vacation time. Employees will receive funding for professional development activities.
Expertise in each requirement listed above is not expected — instead, we encourage applications from those who demonstrate a mix of expertise in some areas, and a commitment to learning and experimentation in the others. Skills and relevant experience outlined in your application may be paid or unpaid, and can include internships, volunteer work, and practicums. We understand that experience, education and learning, and creativity take many forms, and expect that qualified applicants may bring additional skills to this position that we’ve not considered or listed here. If this role interests you, we encourage you to apply!
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com no later than January 14, 2021. Please include "End User and Network Systems Support Specialist" in the subject line. Questions about this role should be sent to Bing Hui, Network and Systems Administrator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION:
The Center for Research Libraries (CRL) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. CRL is committed to actively promoting the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion as key components for serving our members and advancing our global mission. As such, CRL enthusiastically embraces empathy, courage, self-reflection, and respect of a multi-cultural, diverse, and inclusive workplace, and those who strive to incorporate those values in their work and interactions. CRL complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws regarding recruitment, hiring, and employment and is dedicated to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at CRL are based on organizational needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. CRL will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Last updated: Wednesday, December 1, 2021 23:32 UTC