The University Library Director of User Experience implements services, spaces and technology in support of library operations and transformations, providing a vision for library innovation, defining priorities, and making strategic recommendations related to services and technologies. The Director provides leadership, planning, administration, and supervision for all aspects of the User Experience and User Solutions Units’ work including the Unified Service Point (USP), access/user experience services, web services, Student Technology Training Center, Late Night Tutoring, Media Services, Student Computing Services, and various technology labs. The director serves as the appropriate administrator for 17 full- and part-time staff and faculty. This position works closely with San Jose Public Library to design and implement innovative joint ventures at the joint Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library and serves on SJSU IT’s extended leadership team.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of services, programming, activities and projects designed to improve the overall user experience in the library.
- Provides leadership in developing relationships with the library’s diverse user communities and gathering information regarding the needs and priorities of these user communities.
- Provides leadership and direction to the User Experience and User Solutions Units and plans for effective utilization of monetary, personnel, facilities and technological resources to enhance service and/or to maximize productivity.
- Provides strategic advice and recommendations related to user experience. Including: Methodologies for performing needs assessments and usage/static analysis to determine needs and priorities; Trends in user-centered designs and design thinking in physical and virtual spaces; and Trends in virtual UX testing.
- Provides strategic advice and recommendations related to digital services, emerging technologies, and front-end user systems. Including: Digital humanities and digital scholarship; Data and research management systems; OneSearch Discovery system; Library’s Web and Mobile presence; and Learning Management System integrations such as Leganto.
- Identifies emerging technologies, services, and spaces that enhance teaching, learning, research and scholarship for potential library implementation.
- Manages and evaluates unit operations, programs, and services to ensure their effectiveness to students and faculty and to other departments within the library.
- Directly supervises, trains, coaches, and motivates employees to perform and meet the goals of the library, SJSU IT and the university.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong commitment to staff engagement and development, including recruitment of a diverse workforce
- Ability to lead teams effectively and promote a spirit of collaboration within an organization unit.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze requirements, resolve issues, plan for future innovations, recommend and implement strategic initiatives
- Ability to effectively build relationships, present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers, and the public
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centered services for all constituencies.
- Functional expertise and demonstrated success in developing and implementing projects and programs for library information technologies
- Knowledge and understanding of current trends in library and educational technology in higher education
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize, lead and plan work and projects.
- Ability to manage department budgets and allocations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- MA or MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited graduate school or equivalent in training and experience
- Minimum 4 years of significant, progressive management and supervisory experience in an academic library, research institute, or higher education setting
- Demonstrated record of innovation in developing, implementing, or promoting library and/or academic public services
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience in implementing and supporting library and/or academic technologies and digital services
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
Classification: Administrator II
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: November 9, 2021 through November 28, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
How to apply
Christina Mune, Associate Dean
Published: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 00:39 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, November 23, 2021 00:39 UTC