Senior Software Developer, Georgetown University Library
The Georgetown University Library is looking for a Senior Software Developer to join a highly collaborative team that is responsible for the adoption and implementation of commercial and open source applications that improve and enhance library services and user experiences. The Senior Software Developer plays an essential role in the planning, design, implementation, and maintenance of the library’s core applications, including the Alma/Primo VE library services platform, the DigitalGeorgetown institutional repository, and other digital library content platforms.
The Senior Software Developer has primary responsibility for the design, development, and integration of software components that ensure the interoperability of distributed library systems containing digital projects, specialized collections, scholarly materials, licensed products, and educational resources. The Senior Software Developer writes, debugs, and maintains code and administers library applications with minimal need for direction. The Senior Software Developer contributes to the development of a robust technology infrastructure that is economically sustainable and extensible, and creates tools and services that support the library's digital initiatives and the work of other units.
- Undertakes custom and routine programming for library systems, applications, and digital scholarship projects.
- Configures databases for systems based on needs analyses and functional requirements; tracks and documents database modifications.
- Collaborates with others to design standards-based systems architecture to support access to library resources.
- Coordinates security reviews; responds to identified action items, researches problems, and develops and tests solutions.
- Develops technical specifications for the library’s current and future digital environment.
- Plans and performs data migration from legacy systems; develops verification scripts and procedures for successful migration projects.
- Investigates and proposes integrations between existing systems that would result in increased efficiency or user functionality.
- Researches and applies new tools and technologies, including applications, standards, languages, and frameworks.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent
- At least five years of progressive work experience with system implementation, web development, application development, and management of technology resources
- Experience with system implementation, web development, application development, and management of technology resources
- Ability to manage software development using revision control tools such as Git
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Commitment to fostering an equitable and inclusive workplace, and ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, students, and staff
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to communicate technical issues and solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders
- Ability to be flexible, open-minded, and comfortable with changing responsibilities and duties
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience with data integration processes and standards (e.g., using REST APIs, and JSON/ XML for data exchange and interoperability)
Hybrid: 3 days onsite and 2 days telework. Please note that work mode designations are regularly reviewed in order to meet the evolving needs of the University. Such review may necessitate a change to a position’s mode of work designation – please visit Georgetown University’s Work Mode Designation for staff and AAP positions for details.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
How to apply
Published: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 17:11 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, November 16, 2021 17:11 UTC