Programmer / Analyst
The Programmer Analyst-A develops, maintains, and integrates computing systems and software in support of Columbia’s Digital Library and Scholarly Technologies Program. This includes working as necessary in all of the Development, Infrastructure & Application Group’s principal languages, tools and platforms. In addition to application development, the position is responsible for supporting data conversions and migrations directly, via tool development, and with process automation. The position is responsible for researching and evaluating new software solutions. The position may be asked to mentor junior colleagues.
- Designs, develops and implements complex software applications, often interoperating with established systems.
- Works closely with colleagues on all tasks in the software development and maintenance life cycle.
- Manipulates, converts, and analyzes large data and metadata sets, and digital objects; generates reports.
- Performs research, testing, and evaluation of potential commercial or open-source software solutions.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent related experience required. 3-5 years of related experience required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, teamwork, collaboration & analytical skills.
- Commitment to supporting and working in a diverse environment.
- Ability to work within team standards in the design, development and maintenance of applications of moderate scope and complexity.
- Ability to contribute in one or more of the principal languages and platforms used by the team, and learn new languages/platforms as required.
- Advanced degree in a research discipline.
- Information Technology experience in an academic library (or related technology experience in higher education).
- Experience with the serialization, processing, and transformation of library description & discovery data (e.g., MARC, MODS, EAD).
- Experience in open-source and/or inter-institutional collaborative development (especially those relevant to digital library access and preservation systems).
- Demonstrated experience supporting digital collections and/or institutional repository projects.
- Demonstrated experience working with data APIs and/or linked open data.
For immediate consideration, please apply online at:
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.
How to apply
Published: Thursday, November 11, 2021 03:53 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, November 11, 2021 03:53 UTC