Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, and Inclusion at Getty
Getty believes diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are essential to our excellence and to the execution of our mission. The Getty community values differences in the pursuit of inquiry and knowledge, mutual understanding, respect, trust, transparency, and cooperation. We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve and includes individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences. Individuals of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
In Getty Digital, the Collection & Content Management Systems (CCMS) team assists Getty Programs and departments through the administration of a suite of data management systems, technical project management, and digital preservation activities. We are seeking a Software Engineer to oversee our data models and work on Arches, our linked data management platform.
The Software Engineer configures and further develops Arches to optimize the platform’s use for Getty operations. Arches is an open-source platform built jointly by the Getty Conservation Institute and the World Monuments Fund (find out more about Arches here). Additionally, this position manages, coordinates, and carries out technical aspects of projects related to our data modeling efforts, working closely with content owners to develop semantic data structures using the Linked.Art ontology. Those structures reside in Arches.
This position reports to the IT Project Manager Specialist in charge of our Arches instances. Additionally, the Software Engineer will work with technical and content-focused teams across the organization, our consulting semantic architect, as well as external vendors, as needed. This is an opportunity for an engineer and/or information professional with engineering experience and a deep interest in cultural heritage, linked data, semantic technologies, data management processes, systems, and documentation. Desired candidates are both technical and interested in working directly with stakeholders. Excellent communication and people skills, attention to detail, the ability to work with little oversite, and a desire to continuously learn and expand their skill set are a must.
Getty, one of the most prestigious cultural heritage organizations in the world, is dedicated to furthering the study of the history of art, advancing conservation practice, and promoting public knowledge and appreciation of art. Our dynamic and beautiful campus is filled with art, archives, and special collections, and a world-class research library. We offer paid vacation, every other Friday off, excellent benefits, and a strong dedication to balancing work and personal life.
This position is a hybrid work environment opportunity; this is not a permanent remote assignment. The successful candidate must be a California resident when employment begins and will be required to work one day per week on campus with the CCMS team.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Configure instances built on the Arches platform
- Assist with application management of Arches instances
- Contribute to Arches data management tool development to streamline workflows
- Troubleshoot and solve technical problems
- Develop and modify Linked.Art compliant data models for new and existing datasets
- Consult with the contracted semantic architect, as needed, on complex modeling choices and outcomes
- Produce and maintain current documentation for all data models to serve multiple consuming communities: semantic engineers, system administrators, subject experts, software engineers
- Develop specifications and code for data transformation work to migrate legacy datasets into a Linked.Art profile
- Train staff on data models and help to build knowledge around semantic modeling and linked data across campus.
- Participate as a member in the Arches and Linked.Art communities
- Keep abreast of new technologies and developments in the semantic and linked data landscape
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or a combination of education and relevant experience
- 2-5 years software development experience
All employees must be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as a condition of employment. Exemptions from this requirement as a reasonable accommodation due to medical contraindication, disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice will be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience in linked data and data modeling concepts. Knowledge of CIDOC-CRM or Linked.Art a plus
- Familiar with data management platforms and ETL routines
- Knowledge of SPARQL querying
- Expert skills to evaluate, comprehend and interpret data
- Experience partnering across teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic knowledge of software engineering fundamentals
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status.
Last updated: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 04:24 UTC