The User Engagement Specialist will facilitate active engagement and participation among individual Commons users. This specialist will work as part of the broader Humanities Commons team to ensure user success through the development of documentation, training materials, user experience evaluation. The position will also work to connect with and learn from system users, and work with the help desk team on user support processes.
They will work closely with the community development manager to develop strategies for onboarding the individual users at new participating organizations and institutions and will track relevant metrics with respect to community growth and platform use for incorporation into regular reports. The position will also oversee the Commons’ social media and communication strategies and will manage the platform’s outreach via those accounts.
This position is a full-time, 12-month appointment in the Academic Specialist system at Michigan State University.
Find out more information and apply at:
The successful candidate for this position will have strong interpersonal skills and intellectual curiosity and will be able to work both independently and collaboratively with internal and external team members.
Additionally, the successful candidate will have:
- An advanced degree (MA/MS, MLS/MLIS, or equivalent) in a relevant discipline or a bachelor’s degree and comparable experience
- Demonstrated experience in community outreach and support in an academic context
- Demonstrated success in social media management
- Excellent communication skills, exhibited through the development of outreach materials, training materials and workshops, and documentation
- Experience with using WordPress for community engagement as well as the ability to support new users in those processes
- Track record of successful communications including press releases, informational articles and profiles
Further desirable qualifications include:
- Familiarity with recent trends in scholarly communication
- Experience with project management in a technical context, as well as with active collaboration with a technical team
- Knowledge of user experience research methods
- Background and experience in technical writing
The College of Arts & Letters (CAL) and MSU Libraries promote an academic and organizational culture that actively seeks out and strengthens diverse voices and perspectives among its members to achieve excellence. We are interested in candidates of all backgrounds who are committed to the principle that intellectual leadership is achieved through open access and proactive inclusion. We seek candidates with integrity and a strong work ethic, who possess an understanding of what it takes to continuously improve and maintain research projects within a major academic research institution.
We particularly welcome applications from women, people of color, LGBTQI individuals, and others who are traditionally underrepresented in the academy. We invite you to apply even if you have not currently mastered all of the skills listed. We seek someone with the ability to collaborate and to expand their technical skill set in creative ways; we’re happy to discuss whether you’ve got the skills we need for this role.
Last updated: Tuesday, November 9, 2021 15:31 UTC