DescriptionThe Ohio University Libraries seeks applications and nominations for an innovative and collaborative professional to provide leadership and direction as Head of Web Services. This recently formed department will bring vision and expertise to planning, developing, implementing and maintaining robust web technology supporting the Libraries' mission.
The successful candidate will be joining the Libraries at an exciting time because a new strategic plan is underway, with its vision of the Libraries as being a "dynamic gateway for the discovery, creation and exchange of knowledge, which enables students, faculty and staff to realize their promise and to achieve excellence."
Reporting to the Dean of Libraries, the Head of Web Services is the primary planner for the Libraries' web development, its productivity tools and public computing. The Head of Web services will work closely with staff to develop responsive and progressive services and applications to match a rapidly changing information landscape. In collaboration with other department heads, this individual provides critical leadership for the planning, evaluation, development and promotion of the Libraries' current and next generation of web services and information systems.
The Head of Web Services serves as an adviser to the University Libraries' senior management team as it pertains to the developments in information technology, policy, security, management and resource needs. The Head directs the assignments of a staff of three and represents the Libraries on campus and at OhioLINK committees, as well as regional and national organizations.
Specifically, the Head of Web Services' departmental duties include:
- Collaborates with the Libraries' department heads to plan and implement future web interfaces, technologies and innovations to the Web site, a WordPress site, in order to ensure a dynamic, interactive and user-friendly experience.
- Manages the Libraries' Innovative Interfaces Millennium integrated library system, including regular system maintenance and performance improvements.
- Designs, operates and maintains specialized library systems, such as proxy server and EBSCO Discovery service.
- Oversees innovation in the Libraries' mobile presence.
- Assists with the maintenance and implementation of CONTENTdm and Omeka, as needed.
- Develops and maintains a productive, service-oriented staff by overseeing and mentoring the supervision and training in the department, providing oversight for personnel actions, and providing opportunities for educational and experiential growth.
- Communicates complex technical issues effectively to a variety of stakeholders; works closely with Ohio University's Office of Information Technology to ensure effective, efficient and user-oriented services across the Libraries.
- Serves as the lead implementer for OhioLINK technology projects.
- Pursues and administers grant proposals for the Libraries' technology projects.
- Engages in regular professional development through research, publications, presentations and participation in regional and national associations as part of the continuing commitment to bring best practices and innovative services to Ohio University students and faculty.
- A Master's degree in Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an ALA-accredited institution.
- An understanding of the role and the influence of networked scholarly resources in meeting the diverse teaching, learning and research needs of a university community.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with web and content-management systems, integrated library systems, discovery systems, computer hardware and software, and network operating systems.
- Minimum three years of progressively responsible experience in a library technology environment.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with a commitment to data-informed decision making processes.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to enable communication of complex technology issues and strategies to a diverse community.
- Successful supervisory experience.
- Experience administering an Innovative Interfaces Millennium integrated library system.
- Experience developing and maintaining library proxy servers, link resolvers, mobile applications, content management systems, and discovery services.
- Experience with open source and LAMP-based applications used in libraries.
- Experience leading teams and fostering collaborative relationships.
- Experience writing and administering grants.
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC