Systems and Electronic Resources Librarian
The Arthur W. Diamond Law Library of Columbia University is seeking applications for the position of Systems and Electronic Resources Librarian. Reporting to the Head of Library Systems, the successful candidate will support and facilitate the efforts of the Law Library, its staff, and its user community through technology. This role is critical for maintaining access to print and electronic content; analyzing, developing, and streamlining library workflows; and finding solutions to a myriad of diverse challenges with varying levels of complexity. The successful candidate will take a user-centered approach to development, support, technical writing, and communications. They will support or collaborate with all library staff members, various IT departments, representatives of other institutions, and end users with highly specific or escalated concerns.
The Systems and Electronic Resources Librarian will support all activities of the Library Systems unit. The successful candidate will demonstrate flexibility in balancing a variety of tasks with frequently shifting priorities. Key responsibilities include:
- Coordination and administration of various cloud software services, including the integrated library system; coordination of vendor development projects
- Management of electronic resources, including administrative records; bibliographic records and other end-user access points; access implementation and troubleshooting; and proxy server administration
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of custom tools to support end users, internal workflows, and the efficient management of the library and its data; performance or supervision of library data operations as needed
- Linux server administration
- Coordination or performance of library equipment purchasing, setup, support, maintenance, and retirement
- Management of shared email inboxes
- Participation in office and project management
- Documentation of policies and workflows
- Provision of general support, troubleshooting, and ad-hoc training
- Participation in professional activities and development
The Arthur W. Diamond Law Library offers its researchers one of the finest collections of legal materials in the country in both digital and print formats. In addition to a near comprehensive United States Law collection, there are strong collections in International, Foreign, and Comparative Law and a special section devoted to Japanese Law. The Law Library has significant collections from at least thirty different countries and a useful core of materials from many other jurisdictions. The library has a staff of 42 and offers an array of services to the students and faculty of Columbia Law School. As one of the world's leading research universities, Columbia University in the City of New York provides outstanding opportunities to work and grow in a dynamic, multicultural, intellectual community.
The Columbia University Libraries comprises a diverse and engaged staff committed to furthering the University's teaching and research mission through innovation, collaboration, and a commitment to excellence. Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position. We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and excellent benefits
Minimum Degree Required:
Master’s Degree in Library Science or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3 years of academic law library experience
- 3 years of library technical services experience with increasing responsibilities
- Working knowledge of integrated library systems and library standards such as MARC21 and MARCXML, and other common library tools
- Familiarity with law resources and their management challenges
- Familiarity with relevant classification schemes such as LC and Schiller
- Demonstrable understanding of the operational needs and challenges of providing library services
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to successfully support and communicate with persons at all levels of technical ability
- Excellent organizational, analytic, and abstraction skills
- Experience working with multiple integrated library systems and auxiliary applications
- Experience with vendor communication and managing vendor relationships
- Experience with project management
- Experience working with continuing and electronic resources
- Experience participating in library decision-making processes
- Working knowledge of shell scripting, SQL, PDO, JQuery, Bootstrap, Python, Pymarc, and Google Apps scripting
- Familiarity with Linux operating systems and web server administration
- Knowledge of Unicode and character encoding; knowledge of foreign languages and the challenges they represent in managing library metadata and materials
- An understanding of the changing landscape of library metadata standards and formats, and linked data-related concepts and standards
- Professional work experience in an academic library.
- Experience working with TIND and CORAL
- Experience with Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Experience using and troubleshooting library equipment such as book scanners and label printers
Remote work eligibility:
Remote work be limited to a maximum of two days a week, absent exceptional circumstances. Applicants should be comfortable living in or close to New York City.
For immediate consideration, please apply online at:
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.
How to apply
Please apply online. Contact for questions: email@example.com.
Published: Thursday, September 30, 2021 17:54 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, September 30, 2021 17:54 UTC