Statistics and Research Data Specialist
Statistics and Research Data Specialist - (2100016R)
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HSHSL) seeks a creative and collaborative Statistics and Research Data Specialist to join the Data and Bioinformation Services department. The Statistics and Research Data Specialist is a key member of a team responsible for advancing the Library’s research data support mission at UMB. This is a part-time position at 30 hours/week.
This position provides consultation services to students, postdocs, and staff, providing assistance with statistical aspects of research design, data interpretation and analysis, and on the use of software supporting this work. They serve as a vital team member of HSHSL’s Center for Data and Bioinformation Services (CDABS), a hub for data and bioinformation learning, resources, and communication.
In a strong team environment, they collaborate with other members of the Services Division, and with colleagues Library-wide to develop and deliver innovative programs and services. In addition to advancing HSHSL priorities, they engage with the University community and participate in professional and scholarly activities.
This position is located within the Services Division’s Data and Bioinformation Services department. It reports to the Associate Director for Research and Information Services.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools. Benefits are pro-rated based on FTE.
UMB requires all faculty, staff, and students to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be process through Human Resources.
Research Data Project Support – 75%
- Consults with students, postdocs, and staff on statistical aspects of research projects.
- Consults with students, postdocs, and staff on deployment of data science tools for research projects.
- Provides support for the CDABS data visualization service.
- Understands, evaluates, and elicits requirements for research questions and challenges. Participates on multi-function teams and in project planning activities. Helps to ensure that projects are completed in a timely manner.
- Makes decisions and recommendations on project priorities and project design.
- Identifies and understands relevant internal and external data for analysis. Assists researchers with assessing data quality initiatives and preparing large data sets for analysis.
- Uses machine learning, natural language, and statistical analysis methods, such as classification, collaborative filtering, association rules, sentiment analysis, topic modeling, time-series analysis, regression, statistical inference, and validation methods. Applies rigorous validation methods to models and provides realistic expectations of model performance when it is generalized to new data. Reviews publications and literature to validate theories and models.
- Prototypes and demonstrates solutions in analytical software such as Matlab, SAS, SPSS, R, and Minitab, and interprets and conveys results using a variety of different visualization tools.
- Assists in the development of software programming and custom scripts to automate data input, data retrieval, manipulation, and analysis, application of statistics, and visualization tools. Manages key processes involved in IT infrastructure design, database design, interface design, and information processing for value-based product utilization initiatives.
- Researches new modeling techniques and other innovations as appropriate for a specific solution. Implements new or enhanced software designed to access and handle data more efficiently.
Outreach and Collaboration – 20%
- Contributes to the development of instructional content for CDABS workshops and tutorials.
- Educates students, postdocs, and staff on statistical based data science techniques. Cultivates and sustains connections at UMB, building collaborative relationships.
- In partnership with colleagues, assesses UMB community needs to create data-informed programs and services.
- Maintains an awareness of University-wide data resources; makes referrals to them, if appropriate.
- Supports HSHSL data projects as they arise.
Other Activities – 5%
- Engages in professional development.
- Contributes to scholarship in the field.
- Participates actively on committees within the Library, the University, and professional organizations.
EDUCATION: Master’s degree in statistics, biostatistics, or a related field.
EXPERIENCE: Two (2) years data analysis consulting experience, with a strong service orientation. Expert knowledge of R, Python, C++, or SQL or related programming languages. Experience in creating data visualizations.
PREFERRED: Evidence of success guiding students, faculty, and staff through research projects. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects. Demonstrated ability to understand practices in various research communities. Familiarity with institutional research board (IRB) policies, procedures, and protocols.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES: Familiarity with statistical analysis software such as SPSS, SAS, and Stata. Ability to communicate statistical ideas and concepts clearly. Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
HIRING RANGE: Mid-$60,000s to mid/high-$70,000s; commensurate with education and experience.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy. For assistance related to employment, please contact the Staffing department at HRJobs@umaryland.edu.
If you anticipate needing a reasonable accommodation for a disability under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), during any part of the employment process, please submit a UMB Job Applicant Accommodation Request. You may also contact HRDiversity@umaryland.edu. Please note that only inquiries concerning an ADA request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
: Reg or CII Exempt Staff - E3308F
Employee Class : Exempt Regular
Full Time/Part Time: Part-Time
: Day Job
Financial Disclosure: No
: Health Sciences and Human Services Library - Information & Instructional Services
: Sep 13, 2021
: Oct 8, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 21:16 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 21:16 UTC