Under the direction of the Director of Collection and Resource Management, the Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services is a full-time, tenure-track position providing leadership, guidance, and expertise to the department, including supervision of faculty librarians and professional staff. The Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services will be expected to conduct research and scholarship, and participate in faculty governance, committee work, and continuing professional development consistent with University standards for promotion and tenure. As a faculty librarian, the successful incumbent will take an active role in liaison, reference and instruction duties. The selected candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Provide leadership, guidance, and expertise to CMS, including regular review of cataloging and metadata faculty librarians and professional staff.
- Advise Director of Collection and Resource Management in the articulation of a user-centered, holistic cataloging and metadata vision to meet current and emerging information needs and new models of collection/content building and delivery.
- Review and evaluate workflows and work assignments, with an eye toward increasing efficiencies, bringing more high-quality content to users more quickly, and building sustainable workflows to handle increasingly heterogeneous digital assets.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate operations, establish policies and procedures, and set priorities in cataloging and metadata services.
- Train cataloging librarians and staff in cataloging /metadata standards, new technology applications, systems, and tools to ensure compliance with national, SUNY, and local cataloging/metadata standards and practices (MARC, RDA, AACR2r, LCSH, LCCS, OCLC, LC, etc), and to continuously improve cataloging efficiency and quality.
- Work with the Director of Collection and Resource Management, Digital Projects Librarian, and Director of Special Collections to assess, implement, and manage vendor arrangements for the outsourcing of cataloging and metadata projects.
- Work with SBU Library senior leadership, consortia partners, and library/higher education organizations to identify opportunities for improvement in Libraries’ discovery and delivery operations and services.
- Work with Director of Collection and Resource Management and Libraries leadership to develop and implement University Libraries strategic priorities and provide the infrastructure needed to achieve those priorities.
- Work with Director of Collection and Resource Management and Associate Dean for Collection Strategy and Management to develop, coordinate, and implement bibliographic control policy and practices across the ILS, Discovery, and digital repository systems
- Participate in liaison, reference and instruction duties.
- Participate in research, publication, teaching and service in consonance with University standards for promotion and tenure.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 07:56 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, September 22, 2021 07:56 UTC