Posted by: University of California, Berkeley-Human Resources-Employment Services Office
Berkeley, CA, US
Online Course Developers
UC Berkeley - Extensions
We are seeking to hire the following positions:
• Online Course Developer (Job No. 14929) - Contract Position
• Online Course Developer (Job No. 14916) - 2 Career Positions
Extension's Online Learning program is an ideal match for students unable to attend traditional classes, Extension's online program features professional certificates, specialized programs of study, and more than 150 courses in a wide range of subjects that are approved by the University of California, Berkeley, and offered for college credit. The program offers both fixed date and self-pace courses.
The Online Learning department develops and supports courses for programs both within University Extension and for the larger campus community. Presently, our clients include Extension academic departments, UC Summer Sessions, and the School of Public Health.
When developing courses and programs, we work with administration, faculty and instructors to design, move through the campus approval process and eventually craft the course for online distribution. We guide the instructors through the creation process, produce the materials, and host the classroom.
Additionally, we offer full support services to our students, orienting them to the online learning environment, assisting them in meeting their course requirements and helping them find the services they need both at the university and beyond. We support a wide variety of students ranging from undergraduates to graduates, from post-graduates preparing for new careers to seasoned professional seeking additional continuing education credits.
In consultation with the subject matter expert, creates design and layout for online courses. Includes production of digital text, graphics, animation, audio and video.
Meets and consults with clients on a variety of online learning projects including moderately complex assignments, and develops, presents, recommends, and provides training for the appropriate web technologies and applications.
As the Online Course Developer, works with the subject matter expert to understand the requirements, goals and needs of the online course content and its pedagogical value.
Assists the subject matter expert with highly complex online course development projects. Consults with the subject matter expert and provides online instructional design assistance for complex online course development projects involving content management and learning management systems, digital media management, assessment and tracking systems, and a variety of web applications.
Maintains currency with emerging and state-of-the-art technologies, requirements, developments, and standards (for example, accessibility issues) and recommends and as directed, takes action to ensure compliance.
Keeps current with accessibility issues, compatibility issues, and emerging technologies as appropriate for online learning materials and management systems.
• Thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of writing, grammar, syntax, editorial style, and punctuation, including skill to write in a clear and lively style.
• Thorough understanding of technical language and requirements of the assigned work.
• Thorough knowledge of learning management systems and/or relevant web applications used for web site production, and campus-specific computer application programs.
• Thorough skills to create clear, east-to-navigate, informative, accurate, well-designed, and functional web sites that provide web content consistent with the campus message and in keeping with management directives and client objectives.
• Thorough understanding of institutional processes, procedures, and applicable rules and regulations for web communications.
• Thorough technical skills in computer applications for web production, image handling, publishing and design, illustration, presentation preparation, animation, web interaction, and/or other state-of-the-art web communication capabilities.
• Thorough interpersonal communication skills.
• Thorough skills to develop and implement original ideas and correctly identify and effectively solve problems.
• Thorough knowledge of online course development process
• Thorough project management skills.
• Knowledge of the principles of adult learning theory
• Knowledge and use of eLearning tools
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
First Review Date: December 5, 2012
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying through http://apptrkr.com/303011 click on 'Job Listings' followed by 'External Applicants', and then search for job numbers 14929 and 14916.
Additional Information: This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
The University of California, Berkeley is one of the world's leading universities in research, teaching, and public service. The campus employs 2,028 faculty and over 14,000 staff in more than 130 academic departments and interdepartmental groups, libraries, museums and more than 65 interdisciplinary research units contribute to this dynamic and vital research and teaching environment.
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer a diverse working environment, competitive salaries, and comprehensive benefits.
How to apply
Published: Saturday, December 8, 2012 02:13 UTC
Last updated: Tuesday, February 28, 2017 23:46 UTC