Third Iron is seeking a Senior Software Developer to join our terrific remote development team to help build our industry leading software services BrowZine and LibKey. These services are technology infrastructure that connects scholars of all disciplines with the peer-reviewed journal articles they need to advance their research. They are used by millions of researchers affiliated with over 1,200 libraries which are part of universities, hospitals, corporations and government agencies located across 35 countries.
As a Senior Software Developer, you will help make architectural decisions, write automated tests, code the implementation, review code, and collaborate with our team of experienced polyglot programmers.
Our remote-first company has been building software for over 10 years in a completely distributed & remote fashion, so you’ll be joining a team with plenty of experience about what works well remotely (and what doesn’t!).
- Contribute to our existing Third Iron Content Management System and other processes, written primarily in Node.js and Postgres, and used by our internal operations team to manage large amounts of data from our nearly 1000 library customers
- Help shape and build our APIs, used both internally and by third parties, written in Node.js and adopting many concepts from JSON API 1.0
- Contribute to our variety of backend supporting services, written in Node.js and TypeScript, and which interact with Postgres, Elasticsearch, and CouchDB datastores
- Stay up-to-date on the latest developments in Node.js, Postgres, Elasticsearch, CouchDB, continuous integration, and load testing. Learn about all the tools we use at our StackShare
- Optimize and help scale our Heroku/AWS cloud-based systems as our customer base grows to ensure solid performance for all users
What We’re Looking For
- Experience with SQL; we use Postgres to store the majority of our data, and we will continue to improve the speed of our externally-facing APIs and internal processes (Have ElasticSearch experience? Great! We store many metrics in there, too)
- Strong communication skills – since we are a remote team, clear, timely, and frequent communication is essential
- Experience writing automated tests alongside your code – we rely on both acceptance-level and unit-level automated tests to help avoid regressions
- High comfort level with source control, especially git
- A self-motivated developer who can work independently, since remote work demands it
- Interest in learning new technologies. We want to embrace the tools and techniques that help us build great software and let us sleep soundly at night, knowing our users are having a delightful experience and our servers are not catching fire
We are currently taking applications from people with U.S. work authorizations.
Please do not apply if you are a software development firm looking to hire out a team of your developers; we are interested in an individual software developer candidate seeking a full-time position.
To apply, simply fill out the job application, and please include anything that helps demonstrate your development abilities. Whether your GitHub, Bitbucket, or StackOverflow profile, or some sample code, articles, or presentations you’ve created, or even just reporting bugs on open source projects, anything that could help us learn how you contribute to a team would be helpful.
About Third Iron
Third Iron, LLC is a leading information technology company developing innovative services that benefit libraries and their users. Third Iron services include BrowZine, LibKey Discovery, LibKey Link, LibKey Nomad and LibKey.io. Founded in 2011 as a remote-first company, Third Iron products are used by researchers from over 1,200 corporation, hospital, university and government libraries in more than 35 countries. Third Iron is a Minnesota, USA, company, but our software development team is distributed throughout the USA. For more information, check out https://thirdiron.com
Last updated: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 17:39 UTC