Utah State University (USU) Libraries seek a collaborative, innovative, and service-minded individual to join the Digital Initiatives team as the Scholarly Communication Librarian. As part of a dynamic library team, this position will contribute to the coordination, promotion, and assessment of the university’s robust institutional repository (IR) as well as the Libraries’ publishing and research services and open access (OA) initiatives.
The Scholarly Communication Librarian coordinates resources and services to support USU’s faculty, staff, and students in the dissemination and preservation of their intellectual assets. The role requires forming strong collaborations with library liaisons and other library units as well as providing training and consultant services to strengthen and broaden scholarly communication competencies within the USU Libraries. Working with collaborative colleagues, the Scholarly Communication Librarian will provide training, outreach, and services to the USU community, building on the strong library-campus partnerships already in place.
Reporting to the Head of Digital Initiatives, the position is a 12-month, tenure track faculty appointment with rank as Assistant Librarian. The Library is especially interested in promoting an environment of diversity and excellence throughout the institution and welcomes candidates committed to fostering diverse and inclusive environments.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate innovative, sustainable, and inclusive scholarly communication services and policies that support open access publishing and broad dissemination of University research
- Facilitate the publication, curation, and preservation of content such as journals, conference proceedings, monographs, open educational resources, and other unique research and teaching materials via the IR or alternate platforms
- Work with the Digital Initiatives team and other librarians to promote and support the development and growth of USU’s IR (DigitalCommons@USU)
- Administer USU’s OA Policy and its implementation including development of new and support of existing OA initiatives
- Contribute to library initiatives to support USU researchers in demonstrating impact of their work and explore new and alternative metrics
- Monitor advancements in scholarly communication, OA, IRs, and emerging technologies and communicate implications and opportunities to library and campus stakeholders
- Provide outreach and training on scholarly communication topics for library and campus constituencies
- ALA-accredited Master’s degree
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of current issues, trends, and best practices as well as new and emerging technologies in scholarly communication
- Ability to develop and maintain close, collaborative relationships with faculty and staff throughout the library and university
- Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills
- Ability to set and follow through on both individual and team priorities
- Interest in working in a dynamic environment and a willingness to be flexible and experiment
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to meet the university's requirements for promotion and tenure
- Project management experience
- Experience in an academic library setting
- Familiarity with rights management issues in digital environments
- Familiarity with repository platforms
- Experience mentoring students/interns
Salary is $48,000, plus excellent benefits. Utah State University offers a competitive benefits package, that includes medical and dental insurance, a 14.2% retirement contribution by the University, and 22 days/year vacation. The Library provides generous support for professional development and travel.
Utah State University is a multi-campus, land-grant institution. Utah State University’s campus in Logan is located 80 miles north of Salt Lake City, within easy driving distance of many national parks. The surrounding Wasatch Mountains, which include ski resorts, trails, lakes and rivers, place Utah State University in one of the finest outdoor recreational environments in the nation.
Review of applications will begin on September 7th, 2021, and the position will remain open until filled. Please address each of the required and preferred qualifications in your letter as fully as possible using evidence from your educational or workplace experience as appropriate. Apply for this job online.
How to apply
Published: Monday, August 16, 2021 21:24 UTC
Last updated: Monday, August 16, 2021 21:24 UTC