The Fenway Library Organization (FLO), a consortium of academic and special libraries throughout Massachusetts, seeks a forward-thinking, adept, and versatile new Executive Director. Founded by a small group of libraries located in the Fenway neighborhood of Boston, FLO has been promoting resource sharing, encouraging staff development, and providing technical support to member libraries for over thirty years. The ideal candidate is committed to continuing the legacy of exceptional service, support, and innovation that libraries have come to expect and appreciate as FLO members. The Executive Director must be well-versed in library-related technologies, an excellent communicator with exemplary organizational skills, service-oriented, and committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
This is an exempt, full-time position with benefits. Note that work will take place both on-site at FLO’s office in Boston as well as remotely.
Role and Responsibilities
The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors, which comprises the directors of the 10 full-member libraries, and typically supervises 2.5-3 FTEs as well as hiring and managing independent contractors as needed. The Executive Director will provide innovative leadership for the FLO community of 10 full-member libraries and 27 affiliate members and their staff. In this role, the Executive Director supports and implements the strategic goals and program activities of FLO in areas such as resource-sharing, negotiating e-content and software contracts, implementing and maintaining integrated library systems, providing professional development opportunities for members and their staffs, etc. Responsibilities include:
- managing the day-to-day operations of FLO including complying with state and federal legal and tax requirements; hiring, training and supervising staff; overseeing third-party provision of HR services; and managing the physical office space
- providing excellent support for all FLO-managed systems and software applications including scheduling software upgrades, assessing systems performance, and planning and coordinating the rollout of new systems and applications
- under the direction of the Board Finance Committee, managing the financial operations of FLO, including preparation of the annual budget and monthly financial statements, liaising with FLO’s financial advisors, and overseeing accounts payable and receivable
- supporting the activities of the Board, including regular communications through email and listservs; scheduling and attending meetings; and maintaining calendars, documents and records
- overseeing provision of contracted services to third parties, including providing library systems and other services to the Higher Education Libraries of Massachusetts (HELM) and maintaining and supporting the Commonwealth Catalog of Massachusetts (ComCat) within the terms of FLO's current contractual relationship with the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners
- fostering and maintaining productive working relationships with partners, vendors, and government officials, and representing FLO at local and national meetings
A more detailed job description is available upon request.
- MLS / MSIS or equivalent degree/experience
- Management and supervisory experience
- Technology management experience
- Project management experience
- Exceptional organization and communication skills
- Academic / special library experience
- Experience with library consortia
- Budget and financial management experience
- Vendor negotiation experience
Projected start date: November 15, 2021.
Fenway Library Organization encourages the application of all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, mental or physical disability, or veteran status.
How to apply
To apply: send email including resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to the incoming Fenway Library Organization Board President:
FLO Vice President / President-Elect
Director of Library Services
New England College of Optometry
Published: Sunday, August 15, 2021 16:10 UTC
Last updated: Sunday, August 15, 2021 16:10 UTC