The Center for Open Science (COS) is looking for an experienced software engineer to advance our mission of increasing the openness, integrity, and reproducibility of scientific research. We’re looking for someone to help us build new backend data models and API endpoints with opportunities to grow as a contributor to a user-facing Single-page Application (SPA) web app. In addition, we want someone with the experience to identify bottlenecks and optimize database throughput, code speed, and infrastructure reliability. The perfect candidate for this role has worked in the commercial software space for a while but would now like to use their engineering skill to positively impact the world. We are more interested in your communication skills, passion, and ability than we are in the specific technologies that you use. A great developer will be a great developer in any language.
Founded in 2013, COS is a non-profit organization that has pushed for meaningful change in the scientific community. We've initiated large-scale reproducibility studies, challenged the incentive models of science publication, and built the premier online framework for ensuring that science is open and available. All of our software is free and open source, and we want to apply the same principles to science.
- Participate in planning and implementing new software features for the Open Science Framework (OSF)
- Help triage customer issues and provide bug fixes
- Support maintenance and refactoring of existing codebase
- Provide reliable communication around progress and needs
- Review code contributions of other engineers
- Experience with relational databases
- Great communication, including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing
- Well versed in software design principles
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, and passionate about software engineering concepts
- Extensive experience with relational databases, preferably PostgreSQL
- Fluency in Python
- Experience with Django and Django Rest Framework
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Ability to make and drive technical decisions to completion
- Experience with Front-end SPA frameworks is a plus
Core technologies we use:
- Back-End: Python, Django, Tornado, and Flask
- Databases & Messaging: PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ
- Authentication: CAS (Java)
- Front-End: EmberJS and TypeScript
- Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Jenkins, and Travis
Education and Experience: 3 - 5 years experience in software development
Location: COS is located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Remote work is available for this position.
Salary range: $70,000 - $90,000 based on relevant experience
COS offers full time employees:
- 401(k) with employer match. COS offers a matching contribution of 100% up to 3% of pay and another 50% up to 5% of pay (the full match will be 4% if participants elect to defer 5%)
- Health, dental, and vision insurance. COS covers 100% of employee premium and 50% of all dependent coverage costs under the base plan
- 15 days vacation in year one in addition to paid holidays. Additional PTO days earned based on years of service.
- COS offers paid leave for up to three (3) months to all full-time, regular employees to care for their child after birth, after or during the adoption process, or to care for their spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition as well as for the employee’s own serious health condition.
- Modern office space and other amenities with options for hybrid/remote work.
How to apply:
Please apply here by submitting a resume/CV as well as a one page cover letter that articulates your interest in COS and its mission as well as your software development experience, particularly with open source software and any contributions you may have made. Questions about the position and COS are welcome and can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COS is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also strongly encourage applications from members of groups underrepresented in science and technology industries.
How to apply
Briana Wade (Briana.Wade@cos.io)
Published: Friday, July 2, 2021 14:51 UTC
Last updated: Friday, July 2, 2021 14:51 UTC