Section Head, Archives and Technical Services (systems librarian role)
College of the North Atlantic - Qatar Profile:
The beautiful and culturally progressive State of Qatar is home to the world-class post-secondary institution, College of the North Atlantic-Qatar (CNA-Q). Internationally recognized as a comprehensive technical college, CNA-Q is committed to high quality, student-centered education. This commitment is reflected through state-of-the-art facilities, accessible and responsive technology programs and strong partnerships with industry.
With more than 600 staff and 3,000 students, CNA-Q is the third largest post-secondary institution in Qatar offering Applied Bachelor programs, advanced diploma, diploma, and certificate programs through student-centred learning. By providing training in a range of technical areas including Engineering Technology, Health Sciences, Industrial Trades, Business Studies and Information Technology, CNA-Q brings the State closer to the goals of Qatar National Vision 2030.
Duties & Responsibilities:
This position requires an individual with strong problem-solving and technical skills, as well as the ability to take initiative and participate in departmental leadership.
The successful candidate will:
- Supervise the Technical Services team and Archives team within Library Services, including conducting performance reviews and providing ongoing feedback and support for professional development;
- Participate in Library Services staff recruitment and training (particularly training on Library software);
- Administer, configure, maintain, and troubleshoot the Library's systems, including the ILS (Symphony), discovery layer (Enterprise), website (Springshare), and remote authentication for subscription databases (EZproxy);
- Liaise with the College's IT department and external vendors;
- Have a strong orientation toward prioritizing the user experience and optimizing ease of use for our students, instructors, and staff;
- Create, configure, and produce statistical reports;
- Provide advice and research on best practices in utilizing technology in the provision of Library services;
- Be responsible for project management when moving to a new ILS or discovery layer;
- Provide reference services to students and faculty (particularly from the School of IT);
- Perform collection development, particularly in IT-related subject areas;
- Participate in college committees as needed;
- Have strong teamwork and collaboration skills.
Education and Certifications:
- Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science, ALA-accredited or equivalent program
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in Library Systems or related field
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a supervisory role
- Fluency in written and spoken English language
- Fluency in spoken Arabic will be an asset (but not required)
Other Required Skills:
The successful candidate must possess these qualifications and competencies:
- An ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library or Information Science, or equivalent;
- Experience and knowledge of managing an ILS or discovery layer (Symphony or Enterprise preferred);
- Familiarity with MARC and non-MARC metadata standards;
- Analytical skills, strong technological skills, and the ability to work independently.
- A track record of leadership;
- Experience managing electronic resources and databases;
- Archives or Technical Services experience;
- Experience working in an academic library, or with outreach and instruction;
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills.
Candidates must have knowledge of emerging technologies and a commitment to continuous professional development. Intercultural competence including intercultural sensitivity and adaptability, and the ability to conduct oneself appropriately and effectively in another culture, are essential.
How to apply
Published: Friday, June 11, 2021 18:02 UTC
Last updated: Friday, June 11, 2021 18:02 UTC