Seeking creative and analytical type for our Makerspace Manager role in Baylor University Libraries. Candidate should be eager to partner with faculty to design and facilitate learning experiences, participate in technology commercialization initiatives, keep our shop buzzing, and look for creative partnerships both in the university and community. Those interested may read more and apply at baylor.edu/hr/jobs.
What we are looking for:
This position is responsible for providing expertise, support, and access to Moody Makerspace for faculty, staff, students, and other communities. This position also supervises four Student Maker Apprentices.
Our ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Design, Studio Arts, or a related field with studio and fabrication lab coursework and four years’ experience supervising a makerspace or similar creative design and innovation space. Experience with instructional design and adult education is preferred. In lieu of degree, consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with CAD and CAM processes.
- Experience with additive and subtractive fabrication including tool maintenance.
- Knowledge of hacker culture.
- Experience with maker instruction, including leading workshops and hands-on learning projects.
- Skill in using digital and non-digital approaches to design and invent.
- Ability to teach across disciplines, including translation of complex concepts to diverse learners.
- Skill in navigating novices through the prototyping process.
- Skill interacting with and providing services to a diverse customer base.
- Self-directed with the ability to lead maker projects.
- Ability to multitask and work in a time-critical innovation environment.
- Passion for outreach and establishing connections between making and the organization's mission and strategic plan.
What you will be doing:
- Provide technical and creative maker consultation, support, and resources for faculty, staff, and students.
- Oversee the operation of the library makerspace, including equipment, software, and supplies.
- Promote the use of the makerspace and foster and develop its user communities, including development, facilitation, and coordination of training programs and events.
- Other projects and duties to explore connections between maker activities and adjacent/emerging technologies.
- Train, support, delegate work assignments to, and oversee projects of select members of the student workforce.
- Participate in after-hours service opportunities in the makerspace.
- Perform all other duties as assigned to support Baylor’s mission
- Ability to comply with University policies
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance
The Baylor Experience
Working at Baylor is so much more than simply having a job! As part of the Baylor family, employees not only receive a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental insurance, generous time off, and fantastic automatic retirement contributions*, they also get to experience Baylor.
- Experience a mission-driven organization based on a strong Christian commitment (www.baylor.edu/about)
- Experience Baylor academics with outstanding tuition remission for staff and qualified dependents*
- Experience Baylor athletics with reduced admission or free access to athletic events
- Experience our beautiful campus with access to libraries, museums, and recreational facilities such as our fitness center, athletic courts, an indoor swimming pool, and the Baylor marina to name a few
- Experience our great dining facilities and enjoy an employee discount
*For more details and eligibility requirements, please visit www.baylor.edu/hr
Baylor University is a private Christian university and a nationally ranked research institution, consistently listed with the highest honors among The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For.” Chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas through the efforts of Baptist pioneers, Baylor is the oldest continuously operating university in Texas. The university provides a vibrant campus community for over 16,000 students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship. Baylor is actively recruiting staff who support our mission as we pursue our bold vision, Illuminate.
Baylor University is a private not-for-profit university affiliated with the Baptist General Convention of Texas. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer, Baylor is committed to compliance with all applicable anti-discrimination laws, including those regarding age, race, color, sex, national origin, pregnancy status, military service, genetic information, and disability. As a religious educational institution, Baylor is lawfully permitted to consider an applicant’s religion as a selection criterion. Baylor encourages women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities to apply.
(Direct link to Job Description and Application)
How to apply
Published: Monday, June 7, 2021 02:01 UTC
Last updated: Monday, June 7, 2021 02:01 UTC