Website Designer/ Developer
The Website Designer/ Developer will focus primarily on user experience and user interface (UX/ UI)design and front-end development to further advance digital scholarship for a diverse campus community and the academy broadly. A highly collaborative role, the Website Designer/ Developer works with faculty, students, and staff members across the Library and the University to design usable and sustainable website interfaces for high priority digital scholarship projects and library website applications, and provide leadership in website usability and user experience for the BUL. Reporting to the Head of Library Discovery Systems and Design and working closely with the staff of the Center for Digital Scholarship, this position’s primary focus is on bringing contemporary inclusive design, accessibility, and functionality to high-profile, faculty-driven digital scholarship.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
Website Front-End Design
- Works with digital project teams to understand project goals, audience, and dependencies to inform design and functionality
- Translates research and discussions into concepts, user flows, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes that lead to intuitive and inclusive user experiences that support the library’s strategic objectives
- Conducts usability research, including stakeholder interviews, competitive reviews, analytics, observations, and surveys, to inform the creation of tools and websites that enhance the users’ website experience and ensure solutions are accessible and broadly inclusive
Website Front-End Development
- Develops and implements usable, accessible, and responsive website interfaces for digital projects
- Implements modern standards to ensure cross-browser and cross-device compatibility
- Develops code that complies with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Routinely tests websites for ease of use, speed, usability, and other quality factors
Website Usability and User Experience Leadership
- Provides leadership for staff in designing for optimal website usability, inclusivity, and accessibility and user experience
- Provides leadership in front-end development for Library staff engaged in website development and implementation
- Maintains a contemporary suite of UI/UX tools and methods to guide website design and development across the Library.
- Collaborates with University stakeholders in DLD, University Communications, and CIS to ensure alignment with University security, technology, and design standards.
- Ensure website design and front-end code is in alignment with Brown’s policies and protocols relating to visual identity, image use, web hosting, accessibility, and vendor hiring.
Professional Development and Service
- Aids the cultivation of an inclusive environment and a culture of trust and transparency, sharing information broadly, openly, and deliberately. Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with diverse team members, peers, and leaders.
- Maintain current knowledge of website design and development standards and user experience/ user interface design trends by participating in professional development and training opportunities in the area of user experience design, digital strategy, front-end web development and existing and emerging digital tools.
- Engage with industry peers through social media, blogs and websites to stay abreast of UX design, development and communication trends.
- Participate in Library and University committees and task forces
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years of related IT experience including front and end development UI/UX design
- Strong understanding of usability, usability testing, and information architecture concepts
- Strong knowledge of visual design and data representation principles
- Knowledge of web standards, data formats and accessibility standards, including WCAG and Section 508
- Commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion in our workplace, as well the systems and/or services we build, as an equity and social justice imperative.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team
All members of the Brown University Library team are vital contributors to our mission to advance instruction, learning, and research at Brown University in an environment of creativity and inclusivity. A community of academic, professional and organizational learning, the Library embraces people who span a wide range of viewpoints, life experiences, and intellectual pursuits. Together, we preserve the past and innovate for the future. We invite candidates with initiative, unique perspectives, inventive thinking, and a passion for collaboration to join the University’s global mission of leadership and academic excellence.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
How to apply
Published: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 16:19 UTC
Last updated: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 16:19 UTC