The University of Alabama Libraries seeks a talented, energetic, innovative, and entrepreneurial professional who is looking to up their technology game. If you have some technology experience and desire to advance your learning and experience, we invite you to apply.
The University Libraries offers an opportunity to build on your foundation in web development and programming (full-stack), as well as engagement with such programming feats as the FOLIO Library Services Platform, system integrations, commercial product implementations, and interactive online resources and tools. Interested in becoming proficient with React and Vue or Python, PHP, Ruby, or R? Like working in a fast-paced environment? Want to engage with cool, meaningful projects? Want to meet JSON and LAMP around together with Node? Have a passion for creating secure and accessible applications? Come join our team of enthusiastic, creative professionals. Reporting to the Manager of Web Technologies and Development, this position will engage in project work and support new technology initiatives derived from our strategic plan and opportunities that arise as part of our teaching, research, and service missions.
• MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited program, or advanced terminal degree in a comparable field from an accredited institution.
• Some experience working with a programming or scripting language or configuration of a content management system, such as WordPress or Drupal.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies.
• Ability to deal with change, ambiguity, and complex problems in an academic setting.
• Excellent interpersonal communication and customer service skills.
• Ability to conceptualize, communicate, and execute plans to meet short- and long-term goals.
• Ability to balance multiple projects, prioritize activities, and adhere to production schedules and deadlines.
• Ability to support and enhance a diverse learning and working environment.
• Ability to problem solve creatively while learning new technologies and working in a dynamic environment.
• A desire to help develop awesome projects.
• A sincere commitment to learning whatever is needed.
• Job duties continue to change with the evolving research library environment.
• Familiarity with LAMP/LAPP systems.
• Familiarity with JSON/XML, HTML 5, and CSS3.
• Familiarity with academic library applications such as CONTENTdm, DSpace, etc.
• Familiarity with getting, manipulating, and posting REST API data.
• Familiarity with development frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Angular/Node, or React.
• Awareness of accessibility issues and solutions.
• 2+ years of programming experience.
How to apply
Steven Turner, MLIS
Manager, Web Technologies and Development, Assistant Professor
Published: Friday, May 28, 2021 15:54 UTC
Last updated: Friday, May 28, 2021 15:54 UTC