Born-Digital, Inc. is a full-service open source digital repository developer specializing in the Islandora digital asset management system. We work with academic libraries, museums, galleries, and other cultural heritage organizations to make their collections available to the world.
The Senior Drupal Developer will work closely with Born-Digital’s project managers, Dev Ops engineers, and other technical staff to build and enhance our Islandora 8 and Archipelago repositories, based in Drupal 8 and 9. We have terrific digital repository expertise on staff and are looking for an excellent Drupal developer to add to this team.
Ideally we are looking for a full-time, permanent hire, but are open to engaging on a 12-month contract basis. Born-Digital maintains an office in beautiful Western Massachusetts, but is happy to consider remote candidates who can work during local business hours (approximately 9am - 5pm EST). Very little if any travel will be required, although most of us do enjoy attending relevant conferences when travel is safe.
Our compensation strategy is to both treat and pay our people well so they can be free to do their best work. We seek to ensure a healthy financial situation for our people AND our company, while being mindful of the general marketplace for our staff's talents. Salary expectations: we have budgeted $80-100k based on qualifications and experience.
- Requirements-gathering and analysis
- Implementation planning and technical documentation with individual project teams: tools, approach, resource allocation, and implementation planning
- Assessing technical risk and preparing mitigation plans as necessary
- Revising approach and implementation plans as circumstances require
- Writing maintainable modern, object-oriented PHP code, including: Drupal site-building, custom module development and/or theming for new projects; as well as larger new-feature additions to existing Drupal client projects
- Maintaining an active knowledge of the latest relevant tools, trends, and technologies as opportunities for innovation and excellence
- Considering and evaluating applicable technologies for adoption into standard practice and/or for specific projects
- Willingness and desire to be presented with (and to solve) difficult technical challenges
Desired Skills and Experience
- Ability to collaborate smoothly as part of a team
- Ability (and eagerness) to learn new skills on the job
- Familiarity and experience with Git in a team environment
- Attention to detail and production schedules
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to maintain a busy work schedule in a collaborative work environment
- Experience and proficiency coding according to a technical spec and/or prototype
- Demonstrated proficiency in writing durable code for Drupal 8/9; excellent understanding of Drupal 8/9 ecosystem
- Ability to write consistent, standards-compliant PHP 7+, HTML, and SASS/CSS
- Ability to consider edge cases and thoroughly test your own code
- An earnest belief in writing good code for the sake of writing good code
- Comfortable using Linux/Unix terminals
Digital Repository Background (bonus!):
- Knowledge of and experience working with digital asset management and repository systems, especially Islandora and Fedora, is preferred but not required
- Familiarity with and experience working with a range of metadata standards/ontologies such as Dublin Core, MARCXML, MODS, Schema.org, etc
- Familiarity with Linked Data concepts, especially in the cultural heritage domain
- Knowledge of and experience working with Linked Data technologies such as RDF and JSON-LD, and querying languages like GraphQL and SPARQL
- Experience working with scripting languages and/or tools for metadata manipulation and transformation (e.g., OpenRefine, Python, XSLT, etc.)
- Knowledge of metadata harvesting protocols like OAI-PMH, OAI-ORE, JSON API, IIIF Collection and Search APIs
Please write email@example.com with your resume and cover letter and we will be in touch.
Last updated: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 01:11 UTC