LYRASIS is seeking a part-time Technical Lead for VIVO. VIVO is open-source software and an ontology for representing scholarship. This person would be a hands-on leader working with community members from around the world.
This community-oriented position involves working with technical staff and leadership, recruiting technical contributions, and working through technical issues.
More information about VIVO is available at: https://www.lyrasis.org/programs/Pages/VIVO.aspx
The position has the potential to expand into a larger role on the LYRASIS team.
The position could involve working 10-20 hours per week.
- Facilitating distributed open-source development for the VIVO program
- Growing the development community, improving the onboarding experience, and increasing opportunities to contribute to codebase
- Moderating technical discussions and decisions
- Managing expectations and work of community contributions, including the coordination of community sprints
- Working with leadership to develop and support a technical roadmap
- Ensuring software quality control and testing through a release process
- Contributing to the development of the VIVO code base
- Responding to technical questions on mailing lists and other collaborative platforms
- Presenting occasionally
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Minimum of three years technical work experience
- Proficiency in Java and web scripting languages, web-based technologies, and architectures
- Willingness to learn new programming languages and techniques
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of technologists, researchers, managers, funders, and peers
- Experience with current and emerging data architectures and technologies
- Demonstrated ability to manage expectations and priorities diplomatically among various stakeholders
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Ability to estimate development timelines
- Familiarity with academic institutions, research programs, and scholarly communication
- Demonstrated leadership experience within a distributed open-source team environment
- Demonstrated success in mentoring, developing, and empowering community members with a collaborative and open approach, successful collaborations within and across organizations
- Experience with VIVO or other open-source software in the realms of scholarly infrastructure (open access repositories, publishing software, etc.)
- Experience with linked-data technologies
- Ability to match skill sets with the work to be done
The position is part of a geographically and institutionally distributed team, and, as such, applications from candidates interested in telecommuting are welcome
To Apply: All applications MUST be submitted with a cover letter for consideration, applications received by April 30, 2021, will receive priority consideration.
LYRASIS is a 501 c 3 non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support enduring access to the world's shared academic, scientific, and cultural heritage through leadership in open technologies, content services, digital solutions, and collaboration with archives, libraries, museums, and knowledge communities worldwide.
LYRASIS was created by its members to help them tackle wide-reaching challenges. LYRASIS is organized into three primary units of focus community supported/open-source software, technology hosting services, and content creation and acquisition. In addition to these business units, we also offer specific programs such as consulting, training, fiscal services, and more.
At LYRASIS, one of our core values is to provide an inclusive environment to all who are employed here. Therefore, the company is intentional in providing fair and equitable employment opportunities to all applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Published: Thursday, April 22, 2021 00:40 UTC
Last updated: Thursday, April 22, 2021 00:40 UTC